AHG halloween event

H3ll4Flush

VIP
Legacy
Im sorry no offense but I think this halloween event was a total flop as i discussed with peoples and they did agree that was not so good
The maps that have been modified like innomotel,pool etc, for halloween were pretty good tho.

Pokeben10

zonin’
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
Im sorry no offense but I think this halloween event was a total flop as i discussed with peoples and they did agree that was not so good
The maps that have been modified like innomotel,pool etc, for halloween were pretty good tho.
what didnt you like about it

H3ll4Flush

VIP
Legacy
Fun round that has not be fully tested before being implicated
Guns skins for guns nobody use normally
Too much kills to get the weapons
No really fun events guns for T or D
No fun gain from fun rounds as cool looking crowbars or healthstation
These are from people I asked what they think about the event and not just my opinion
No offense are meant

AdriX

Prestigious
VIP
theres still time to readd lost temple for the halloween event @staff
is the lost temple the map where everyone spawns on the top and needs to drop down a small slide???

and has actual easter eggs to do?

Trash San

VIP
Legacy
I agree with this, the maps were pretty decent, although a little too dark for my liking

*The following is my opinion on the additions for this event

In regards to the fun round and skins that were added, I feel they were both very disappointing.

Boring challenges that don't inspire anything new, just the old "kill x amount of people with a certain weapon" to get them

The skins were a little basic, and they don't really give the "Halloween vibe" that I would be expecting from skins that were released for the Halloween event

The infected game mode I did not enjoy, it's boring and feels very similar to something that I have played in many other places, and it was also very broken at the beginning, and there are still some glitches

- Really there was not enough content, I understand that this is Gmod and the options are limited, but it would have been really nice if we had a "Grimwon" type mode or something like that, to break the normal TTT formula, I asked about this and was told that it was removed, but never given an explanation as to why they were not doing it this year. Another thing that would have been cool is if a new weapon was added, maybe a new traitor or detective item

If we got rewards for beating the infected game mode it would have been cool

(I want to type more to explain myself better but im going trick or treating now, wish me luck : D)

chewie

Vanilla Player
VIP
Legacy
I agree with this, the maps were pretty decent, although a little too dark for my liking

*The following is my opinion on the additions for this event

In regards to the fun round and skins that were added, I feel they were both very disappointing.

Boring challenges that don't inspire anything new, just the old "kill x amount of people with a certain weapon" to get them

The skins were a little basic, and they don't really give the "Halloween vibe" that I would be expecting from skins that were released for the Halloween event

The infected game mode I did not enjoy, it's boring and feels very similar to something that I have played in many other places, and it was also very broken at the beginning, and there are still some glitches

- Really there was not enough content, I understand that this is Gmod and the options are limited, but it would have been really nice if we had a "Grimwon" type mode or something like that, to break the normal TTT formula, I asked about this and was told that it was removed, but never given an explanation as to why they were not doing it this year. Another thing that would have been cool is if a new weapon was added, maybe a new traitor or detective item

If we got rewards for beating the infected game mode it would have been cool

(I want to type more to explain myself better but im going trick or treating now, wish me luck : D)
IIRC Grimwon was developed by Opalium so I'm assuming they didn't have permission to use it.

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Saying it could have been better and it being a flop are 2 different things. I personally think that Infected is the most fun fun-round since the boss battles of SGM. I agree that the kills might be a little bit too high for the weapons, but they arent meant to be guaranteed.

In the past month, the servers have been more consistently populated with higher pop every day. This wasnt a flop.
(If you or anyone else has any other feedback, there is a section for feedback about the fall event in the staff approval poll)

Edit: Highwon & Opalium had a collective ~11 years to develop the fun rounds we had on SGM. Hopefully we'll get there :)

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
I think a lot of people in this thread are missing the point of the Halloween event.

The purpose of the Halloween event was not to be a massive event. It was to add some new content to the server to keep the server lively until our Winter event, which is our biggest one of the year. In this regard, it went better than I'd hoped. If anyone was here for October - November 2021, they'd remember how dead the TTT server was. Getting the server past 10 players was a struggle, and there were many days where the server just didn't get popped. We've managed to avoid that so far, which makes me even more optimistic for this year's Winter event because it means we'll actually have momentum going into it.

Infected actually was fully tested on the dev server. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but sometimes shit happens. While I acknowledge that Infected had a rough rollout, it was fixed up and tuned within a few days. That's pretty good for a fun round that'll be in rotation for the rest of AHG.

As much as community members liked the Grimwon fun round, my experience with the boss battle we did last year and as a new player on SGM in October 2020 was that it's really bad for retaining new players. It's frustrating when people are trying to play TTT and every 1-2 maps there's a fun round where a lead admin just massacres the entire server. Infected is a "democratized" version of the Grimwon fun round - every player gets a chance to be in on the action, and no one is stuck sitting for 5+ minutes waiting for the round to end. Infected also encourages people to work together, just like the Grimwon fun round.

With regards to weapon skins, everyone still has 18 days to do those challenges. I maintain that they're all doable within that time frame. The rationale behind making the number of kills really high was to encourage people to chip away at the weapon skins throughout the event, rather than just sweating it up and getting 100 kills within the first few days and never logging on again. Also, "weapons that no one use"? We want to have weapon skins available for every gun. I think it's a good thing to incentivize players to use guns that they normally wouldn't have touched. I do acknowledge that the perception of the weapon skins being unachievable could be negatively affecting participation. It makes sense to me that people might get burned out of using a different weapon than they're used to. I hope, HOPE, to fix this in the winter event by having more weapon skins available

Now, in defense of using weapon kills - in my experience, weapon kills are a much better indicator of actually playing the game than SGM's approach (time spent on the server plus a high point cost). Plus, it forces you to actually use the weapon you're getting a skin for. However, there probably is a better way to do them than just weapon kills. We never really got around to doing this because it would mean rewriting the entire weapon skin achievement code. Now that there's appetite from the community for something new, I've been planning out how to accomplish this. Here's my ideas so far, and I'm open to hearing other suggestions:
  • A weapon skin that is unlocked by getting a valid kill on N different maps
  • A weapon skin for signing up on the forums (no premium rank required)
  • A weapon skin for joining the Discord (no premium rank required)
Lastly, on custom content being lacking - it's a work in progress. I don't think people realize how much work adding good quality custom content is. For example, adding a single player model to the server is probably about two hours of work - and that's assuming everything goes well. For just one player model, I have to
  1. Download the model from the workshop.
  2. Go through each VTF file in the model to make sure they're appropriately sized. Many of them aren't, so I have to export them to PNG, run them through an upscaling algorithm that cleans up VTF decompression artifacts, resize it and pack it back into a VTF.
  3. Decompile the model, then open it in HLMV to make sure the hitboxes are good. If the hitboxes aren't good, that's even more time spent.
  4. Upload the model to the dev server and workshop addon.
  5. Write the pointshop code to make the model available to players.
  6. Test the model on the dev server.
  7. Deploy it to the live server.
  8. Listen to people complain about the model or ask when a different model will be added.
I'm sorry our event did not meet your high standards. If you're interested in making the Winter event better, give us concrete ideas instead of just calling something a "total flop".

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
  • A weapon skin that is unlocked by getting a valid kill on N different maps
  • A weapon skin for signing up on the forums (no premium rank required)
  • A weapon skin for joining the Discord (no premium rank required)
+1 for all of these, but make them all (no premium rank). The valid kill on N different maps will be a great player retention achievement. It takes time, but if there is no time limit, it would be a good starter unlock. Having 3 "base" weapon skin unlocks feels like the perfect number to me.
As for having other unique ways to unlock weapons:

• Get N kills in 1 T-round
  • Get N T kills in 1 round
  • Survive for N hours (A counter to SGM's activity unlocks)
Thats the best I can come up with right now.

For the rest of the post: I think many of you forgot the state that SGM was left in. Yes there were very functional fun-rounds and high pop all the time, but that was stuff left over from the years prior. In the last year and a half of SGM, the only content addition we got was a couple community made skins and Frag Storm. Fucking Frag Storm.

AdriX

Prestigious
VIP
You could also just make a really long grindy challege for weapons... like if you want a gold or diamond (if bonks can figure out how to replicate diamond guns from bo2) sniper it would take you like 1k or more.... something along those lines.. and there wouldn't be a limit on getting that challenge done.. so no pressure just grind it out slowly.

Black

3rd Color of the Rainbow
VIP
Legacy
You could also just make a really long grindy challege for weapons... like if you want a gold or diamond (if bonks can figure out how to replicate diamond guns from bo2) sniper it would take you like 1k or more.... something along those lines.. and there wouldn't be a limit on getting that challenge done.. so no pressure just grind it out slowly.
https://afterhoursgaming.gg/threads/weapon-mastery-skins.1776/ should've been implemented with knife sounds too !