Rejected Allow soft a n word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Pauly

Serious Member
Administrator
VIP
Supporter
Multiple times I’ve played on the server I’ve had to tell a black player that he was not aloud to say the n word (being serious btw) by not allowing them to be themselves on the server they end up leaving and finding somewhere else to play. We are missing out on so many new community members because of this.
Like you can’t ask a person from a marginalized community to change their vocabulary completely and expect them to stay. I believe this is one big reason why we have very few black community members.
Thank you.

Frost

VIP
Legacy
A racist old lady declares that she is about to say the N-word, but her plans to do so are immediately foiled by The Penguins of Madagascar. The Penguins then visit Michelle Obama; Skipper tells Mrs. Obama that he and the other penguins have stopped racism. Mrs. Obama thanks The Penguins for their noble deed, saying that she is now free to roam the earth. However, Donald Trump appears and threatens to say the N-word. Skipper tells Mrs. Obama to duck, but this does not help; Trump says the N-word, killing Mrs. Obama. Skipper asks if Mrs. Obama is alright, but Trump tells him that she is dead, and because of that, he is now free to say the N-word. Suddenly, Martin Luther King, Jr. appears and launches his Civil Rights Beam, harming Trump. Trump asks for Skipper to assist him, but Skipper tells Trump off. Skipper then notices something coming out of the water and asks Kowalski what it is. Barack Obama rises out of the water, and Kowalski asks him what he is doing there. Mr. Obama declares that he is going to get vengeance for Michelle's death. Skipper says to Mr. Obama they did everything they could to protect Michelle, but Obama tells him that he has made up his mind. Despite The Penguins urging him not to, Mr. Obama says the N-word. Somehow, The Penguins survive, but are blown away. Kowalski questions why Mr. Obama would use the N-word in the first place. Skipper then realizes that Donald Trump was disguised as Mr. Obama. Trump appears, still disguised as Mr. Obama, and explains that he has taken over the real Obama's body to use the N-word. However, Skipper points out that, due to being inside another man, Trump is gay. Trump is defeated, and the real Barack Obama is brought back. Mr. Obama thanks Skipper and The Penguins for their great service to the country, and gives Skipper the N-word Pass. Skipper says that it is an honor to call Mr. Obama his n***a, and Mr. Obama agrees.

If Obama called Skipper the N Word, then we should be allowed, #StopOppressingUs #SpigpasWillRise #VivaLaRaza

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
alright enough fun. lets get the thread back on topic

Bonks

Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Supporter
the soft a is very normalized where i live, not in professional spaces or church or anything like that - but throughout school, parties, bars, i've seen people regardless of race be comfortable enough with each other to call each other the soft a. I don't personally say it anymore, but there was very much a point in my life where I was comfortable calling a friend it. I didn't go out of my way to say it, when everyone is comfortable saying something, it just integrates into people's vocabulary, as it did mine.

it's the same reasoning people use to attack Pewdiepie's character after he used the hard R in a derogatory way against another player - it doesn't happen by accident, it happened because he was comfortable saying it casually off stream and therefore he did eventually say it on stream. During my time as staff I did and I believe it's okay to give them the only reaction they ultimately deserve - kick or outright ban those dumbshits the moment they let one rip, I'd always rather do that than sit around for 30 minutes waiting for the dumbass to toy around with me while I actually have shit IRL I need to attend to. If I ever thought the player genuinely did use the soft a in a casual natural format it was chill, I'd just warn them, and either they stopped or they made it clearer that they're doing it so they can get attention - which I gave in the form of a ban.

The problem is I don't believe the majority of TTT players or this server in general has any real use to say it. I don't think kevin, h3ll4, or your dad "accidentally" say the word because they're used to saying it, I know they're just saying it because it garners a reaction. it's almost laughable thinking how much shit staff are going to have to let fly once this rule would ever take effect regardless if it was directly derogatory (98% of the use is going to be derogatory.) or not.

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
I know a lot of people are going to think of this as a troll post, even though it isn't, and are going to think my post here is a troll post (it isn't. I am serious here.)

To accurately address this issue, we first must address why the word n***er is banned, and should stay banned.
The word n***er is used to take an entire group of human beings, focus on a singular part of them, and reduce them to that part. To take a complex individual and reduce them to the color of their skin and imply that all parts of them are the same as the other people who share the single trait of having black skin is wrong. The word n***er historically has done this, and is still used to do this. I rarely even hear black people themselves using the word "n***er" on themself. So, this word should certainly stay banned, as should other words that perform this same task. Racism is horribly immoral, and should not be given a voice within the After Hours Gaming community.

So, why then, should the word n***a be treated differently? N***a is basically a shortened version of the word n***er, and was used as such by the enslavors when addresses the enslaved. It was used by the oppressors to address the oppressed. However, unlike the word n***er, an interesting sociological phenomenon occurred, that is not unique to this situation. The oppressed black people began owning the word, and making it their own. This is not the first time in history this has happened, and certainly will not be the last. When the United States of America was still just thirteen colonies, the British would frequently call the Americans things like "Yanks" or "Yankees", and other slurs, so-to-speak. The British certainly did not mean anything good when calling an American a yankee. However, the Americans would hear this word reapetedly, and stole it from the British. They turned this term into their own word, so much so that we now have a baseball team named the Yankees, and we have songs sung in elementary school about some yankee doodle dandy. A similar situation can be observed with the term "queer." While the term queer can be, was, and still sometimes is used to insult a gay individual, the term has been adopted by the LGBT community, so much so that the term LGBT has now become LGBTQIA+, the Q meaning queer. A similar event has happened with the term "f*g", and "f**got", where the oppressed have adopted the word and now use it on themselves. So why then, should the word n***a be treated any differently? The people who were being harmed by this term, similar to yankee, and is not typically used to reduce a complex individual down to a single aspect of their person.

So if black people have claimed the word and have taken it from their oppressors, should non-black people be allowed to use the word? Yes, they should, for a few different reasons. In an online community, it would be impossible to identify who is black, and who is white. One could take the https://reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter approach and demand irrefutable photographic proof of blackness, but this is an absurd and inherently racist concept, as well as a major privacy violation, and After Hours Gaming should strive to be better than a Reddit community. So, should the word n***a be allowed for someone in the community, it must be allowed for everyone. There is the issue of the fact that many white people simply use the word. If a white child grows up with black parents, and adopts the language of their family, should they be barred entry from using the term? Should a white person, who regularly uses the word when in the presence of real black people in the real world without consequence, be barred use from this online internet community where race cannot even be easily identified?

There is also an issue with the way this community addresses context and the word n***a. In many songs, the word n***a is used. A very popular song by Jay-Z has the word in the title, "N***as in Paris". In this song, Jay-Z and his friends travel to Paris. They are enjoying many high class things in Paris, they are enjoying high fashion, fancy hotels and restaurants, and other things most people will never experience. Jay-Z and Kanye West reflect on the event, and feel like they were not ever supposed to reach these heights and ever travel to Paris. Upon reflection, the duo think about where their people started in America - as slaves, as nothing but a n***a, just a reduction of their complicated character down to the fact they are black. Eventually, the slaves were freed, black people's human rights were recognized in America, and were given the same opportunities as white people. One such opportunity was the ability to become rich, famous, and travel to Paris. So, the duo have the revelation that they are a couple of "N***as in Paris." This song is more than just a generic rap song in which someone is speaking provocatively, using slurs just to use slurs, or using curse words just to use curse words. The song is actually a powerful reflection on where black people started in America, to where they are now. It is a song made with love, and not from hate. It is not difficult to examine the context of a situation, and determine if someone is using a word hatefully, or using it with love.

Should the word n***a be disallowed when used hatefully, then? When using a word like "retard", or calling a woman a "cunt," there is an appropriate time to do so, and an inappropriate time. Perhaps as a term of endearment, the terms are fine to be used. However, when a woman speaks for the first time on a microphone in the game, immediately calling her a "cunt" or a "bitch", and telling her to go back to the kitchen, immediately tells you the words are not being used lovingly, but are being used hatefully. When any words, whether they are/were racial slurs or not, are used hatefully it is considered harassment, and is punished as such in this server. The fact the woman was called a bitch or a cunt is not why the user would be punished. It is because the user harassed the woman. The same situation would apply with use of words like "n***a." If my friend joins the server, and I exclaim "What's good n***a," it is trivial to assume I am coming from a place of love, and am not harassing the user. But if I were to say to my arch nemesis, "You stupid fucking n***a," I may be harassing the user, and should be punished. Whether I called this user a n***a or called him a cunt, bitch, or any other curse word actually doesn't matter, as I was still harassing him. There is a clear difference between using a term to love someone, and harassment, and it is trivial to tell the difference.

Excuse this giant wall of text, it is difficult to take a complicated issue involving linguistics and shortening it to a forum post. In short, the term n***a should be unbanned, and the moderation team should be given the simple directive that "harassment is, always was, and always will be harassment. Continue to punish those who harass other users, regardless of the language used, as you have always done, and always will do."
The word "n***a" has a complicated history and its usage has sparked much debate and controversy. While some argue that it has been reclaimed by black people and should be used freely, others argue that it is a slur that should be banned in all contexts. I will argue that people should not be allowed to say "n***a" because of its historical origins as a slur, its continued use as a means of oppression and racism, and the fact that it is a word that causes harm and offense to many people.

First and foremost, the word "n***a" has its origins in the word "n***er," which was used by white people to dehumanize and oppress black people during the time of slavery. "N***er" was used as a derogatory term to refer to black people, and was often used by slave owners and others in positions of power to reinforce their own superiority. Despite the end of slavery and the civil rights movement, "n***a" has continued to be used as a means of oppression and racism, and is often used by white people as a way to demean and belittle black people.

Furthermore, the use of "n***a" can be seen as a form of cultural appropriation, where people from dominant groups take elements of a culture belonging to a marginalized group and use them for their own benefit. In this case, non-black people using the word "n***a" could be seen as appropriating the experiences and struggles of black people, and using a term that has been used to oppress them for their own gain. This is not only disrespectful, but it also perpetuates harmful power dynamics and reinforces the idea that non-black people have the right to use and control elements of black culture.
In addition, the use of "n***a" can cause harm and offense to many people, regardless of whether or not it has been reclaimed by black people. While some may argue that it is a term of endearment or a way to reclaim the power of the word, for others it is a source of pain and trauma, and the use of the word can tr***er negative memories and experiences related to racism and oppression. It is important to consider the impact of our words and actions on others, and to avoid using language that may cause harm or offense to those around us.

Finally, it is worth noting that the use of "n***a" is not necessary for communication or expression, and there are plenty of other words and terms that can be used without causing harm or offense. It is possible to have meaningful and respectful conversations and interactions without resorting to the use of slurs or derogatory language.

In conclusion, people should not be allowed to say "n***a" because of its history as a slur, its continued use as a means of oppression and racism, and the harm and offense it can cause to many people. While some may argue that it has been reclaimed by black people, it is important to consider the impact of our words and actions on others and to avoid using language that may cause harm or offense. It is possible to have respectful and meaningful interactions without resorting to the use of slurs or derogatory language.

Everlong

VIP
The word "n***a" has a complicated history and its usage has sparked much debate and controversy. While some argue that it has been reclaimed by black people and should be used freely, others argue that it is a slur that should be banned in all contexts. I will argue that people should not be allowed to say "n***a" because of its historical origins as a slur, its continued use as a means of oppression and racism, and the fact that it is a word that causes harm and offense to many people.

First and foremost, the word "n***a" has its origins in the word "n***er," which was used by white people to dehumanize and oppress black people during the time of slavery. "N***er" was used as a derogatory term to refer to black people, and was often used by slave owners and others in positions of power to reinforce their own superiority. Despite the end of slavery and the civil rights movement, "n***a" has continued to be used as a means of oppression and racism, and is often used by white people as a way to demean and belittle black people.

Furthermore, the use of "n***a" can be seen as a form of cultural appropriation, where people from dominant groups take elements of a culture belonging to a marginalized group and use them for their own benefit. In this case, non-black people using the word "n***a" could be seen as appropriating the experiences and struggles of black people, and using a term that has been used to oppress them for their own gain. This is not only disrespectful, but it also perpetuates harmful power dynamics and reinforces the idea that non-black people have the right to use and control elements of black culture.
In addition, the use of "n***a" can cause harm and offense to many people, regardless of whether or not it has been reclaimed by black people. While some may argue that it is a term of endearment or a way to reclaim the power of the word, for others it is a source of pain and trauma, and the use of the word can tr***er negative memories and experiences related to racism and oppression. It is important to consider the impact of our words and actions on others, and to avoid using language that may cause harm or offense to those around us.

Finally, it is worth noting that the use of "n***a" is not necessary for communication or expression, and there are plenty of other words and terms that can be used without causing harm or offense. It is possible to have meaningful and respectful conversations and interactions without resorting to the use of slurs or derogatory language.

In conclusion, people should not be allowed to say "n***a" because of its history as a slur, its continued use as a means of oppression and racism, and the harm and offense it can cause to many people. While some may argue that it has been reclaimed by black people, it is important to consider the impact of our words and actions on others and to avoid using language that may cause harm or offense. It is possible to have respectful and meaningful interactions without resorting to the use of slurs or derogatory language.
Yeah, I agree with this. Im changing my +1 to a -1. Sorry pauly, but theres just better reasoning from the opposition at this point.

Evil Pauly

Serious Member
Administrator
VIP
Supporter
This thread went form “black people should say the n word” to “white people should say the n word” way too fast white people ruin everything I swear to god

Status
Not open for further replies.