Answered Am I allowed to bind a freewheel mouse to fire?

Lunar

8:00 PM
Banned
VIP
Legacy
Though debatable, Freewheel mice (Mices that either unlock your scrollwheel or just makes it spin really fast), doesn't really follow any macro uses as it's apart of the mouse. You also don't exactly gain too many advantages with this, as most semiautomatic weapons have a small delay to prevent things like autoclickers to make the weapon insane. I do not see any problems with this, however an admin or a rank higher of mine might.

tl;dr
Probably but could not be allowed by admin+

Timo654

Legacy
Though debatable, Freewheel mice (Mices that either unlock your scrollwheel or just makes it spin really fast), doesn't really follow any macro uses as it's apart of the mouse. You also don't exactly gain too many advantages with this, as most semiautomatic weapons have a small delay to prevent things like autoclickers to make the weapon insane. I do not see any problems with this, however an admin or a rank higher of mine might.

tl;dr
Probably but could not be allowed by admin+
but if I were to use a macro that is the same speed as a freewheel mice, would that be bad?
and if so, how would you differentiate between the two cases?

Lunar

Banned
VIP
Legacy
but if I were to use a macro that is the same speed as a freewheel mice, would that be bad?
and if so, how would you differentiate between the two cases?
Well, the problem here is that you are using a macro lol. However, it'd be near impossible to differentiate both cases if,
  1. The macro emulates a freewheel mouse extremely well
  2. A user claims to be using a freewheel mouse, but is, in reality, using a macro.
I say near impossible because a really simple solution to this is to dm the person you suspect is using a macro, but sends you a photo of a freewheel mouse. However, I am not an admin. So everything I am saying could be literally completely wrong, this is just in theory.

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Well, the problem here is that you are using a macro lol. However, it'd be near impossible to differentiate both cases if,
  1. The macro emulates a freewheel mouse extremely well
  2. A user claims to be using a freewheel mouse, but is, in reality, using a macro.
I say near impossible because a really simple solution to this is to dm the person you suspect is using a macro, but sends you a photo of a freewheel mouse. However, I am not an admin. So everything I am saying could be literally completely wrong, this is just in theory.

What if that person said no and declined to send a picture? Would they be banned for using a macro even though there is no evidence that they were using a macro?

Lunar

Banned
VIP
Legacy
What if that person said no and declined to send a picture? Would they be banned for using a macro even though there is no evidence that they were using a macro?
Can't ban people without evidence, however other approaches can be taken if we suspect that a guy is using a macro or refuses to give proof.

No

AllOfYourMoney

VIP
Legacy
This is somewhat tangential but somewhat related. Mousewheel bind was bannable back in the day on a lot of COD4 servers when it had a very active playerbase. The problem was without a script there was no way of knowing if someone had bound their mousewheel or if they could just click fast. Even if they had bound their mousewheel, had they done it through other software it would be near impossible to detect.

Yet even with that I thought the whole thing was stupid. Why? Because I can click at 10 clicks per second. You can google different tests for how fast you can click, and I can get a consistent 10 until I get fatigued. 10 clicks per second maxed out the fire rate of most guns in COD4 and in most games with semi-automatic weapons, unless they are manually rate limited. (10 clicks per second checks out to 600rpm. I've found most games with semi-automatic guns either are rate limited at about this point, or that they become close to uncontrollable past that. Clicking really fast while trying to compensate for recoil is much harder than just 1 solid click, and your aiming precision goes down. I find there's a bit of a trend for it to be more powerful guns to be semi-auto anyway, likely for balance, and because of that they often have more recoil. IE: G3, FAL, other guns in shooters etc. 600 RPM for these is mostly controllable, but not always accurate. Getting even faster with a macro to 800-1100 rpm if a game allows? Good luck...)

I got banned from multiple COD4 servers for supposedly using an exploit/macro/scroll wheel bind just because I can click pretty fast. Even at that, there's likely people on this server who can click faster than me. I know of a guy that consistently clicked at 10.5-11 clicks per second, and a close friend can maintain 11-11.5 clicks per second. If those speeds aren't hitting the fire rate maximum for a semi-auto gun in a game, then it must shoot hella fast and I guess scroll wheel bind would give you an advantage, albeit very small. AND that would be assuming you can actually scroll faster than 11 clicks per second!

To this day I still click really fast when I have semi auto guns (helps a ton in tarkov) and I think if you want to achieve that with scroll wheel bind there's going to be a stiff learning curve but there's nothing that makes that any more fair or unfair than someone who can just naturally click very quickly.

It was super awkward getting banned from servers for this nonsense. I still remember vividly getting pulled into a teamspeak chat with a head admin and him telling me sternly "Turn it off" and I was like "what" and he proceeds to tell me if I do not turn off my macro he will have to ban me. I told him I can't turn off my fingers and it's such muscle memory at that point after a decade plus that there's no way I can just stop when I'm in the middle of a firefight. This is after sending the server a video of me clicking with my mouse while playing the game too... He still didn't believe me and told me that either I turn it off, or I get banned, or I quit playing that server. That was the end of my favorite COD4 server because I can click fast and apparently that's unfair.

TLDR: If they ban mousewheel bind unless AHG gets really good at looking for people who have MWB vs just clicking fast others prob would get banned too. I don't see that happening.

Lunar

Banned
VIP
Legacy
I'll just be marking this as completed. There is a small delay in between shots for semi-automatic weapons that stops you from getting something like an auto clicker to use semis as an extremely high rate of fire autos.

For the comment as AllOfYourMoney, Mousewheel binds aren't banned, just look at Mousewheel bhops. I'll be leaving this as unlocked for now for any objections, but if it isn't allowed then any Mousewheel binds shouldn't be allowed.