Any Tips for an Upcoming Interview?

PwnageKO

"I'll be seeing you on the forums."
VIP
Legacy
Hey Nerds,

I know this is an weird setting to be asking for interview tips, but I figured what the hell have I got to lose. Aside from having to read some of the A B S O L U T E incoherent dribble that the majority of you post, I guess it won't hurt THAT badly to comb through what some of you say.

Hell. One of you bozos may actually be able to produce some form of golden knowledge nugget that was secretly entombed deep, deep, deep, ...fucking deeeeep fucking down there within the very depths of your putrid gamer-gunk-riddled craniums.

If you need a visual.

So... anyone have any interview tips for me? This entire post is an example of me procrastinating to actually prepare for the interview. I suppose some tips wouldn't hurt.

I appreciate any advice, tips, or help given in advance (even if it's gamer-gunk).

TragicMagic

junior junior senior lead admin
VIP
ask for a business card at the end of the interview, if you're gonna work somewhere formal and professional.

gives you direct line of contact to the person in charge of the hiring process and looks professional as balls

PwnageKO

VIP
Legacy
ask for a business card at the end of the interview, if you're gonna work somewhere formal and professional.

gives you direct line of contact to the person in charge of the hiring process and looks professional as balls

The interview is going to be virtual. Plus, I think the person interviewing me is actually the person in charge of the department I'd be in. I wish it was in-person though. I fucking hate talking through a camera.

PwnageKO

VIP
Legacy
@My Dime Is Up

Hey, nerd. I have a new complaint.

If you scroll up, you may have noticed a critical flaw within the forum's essential programming, formatting, and overall quality itself.

When I said "A B S O L U T E " above, you may notice that the underline beneath the word does not reflect any change in text color to match the coloration of the text it underlines. This discrepancy greatly reduces the impact of my creative ability and, as a direct result, hinders the enjoyment of the forums for everyone else.

Please fix this issue immediately. Thank you.

PwnageKO

VIP
Legacy
Dont lie because they dont like that apparently tried telling this guy that I am co owner of amazon but I got rejected

This is not only good advice, this is the best advice I have received all day. Thank you Aidan, this community greatly appreciates your continual sharp and insightful input. Not only this community, but I do appreciate YOU Aidan. Stay gaming, gamer.

Klutch

always down horrifically bad
Legacy
As a manager of a $14 million restaurant (no bullshit), I will always judge my candidates I interview based on their energy. Yes, be professional, but also have a sort of energy about you. If you seem just kinda dull and you say all the right stuff, that's fine, but a lot of it is how you say what you're saying.

On top of that, red flags are if they talk about money. No shit, you're applying partially because you want money. There has to be some sort of other passion or reason for wanting to work there. If it's a place where wage is negotiable, go for it, but don't make it seem like money is a primary motivator.

Be honest, act as if they already know everything about you and as if they're asking you what they're asking you to verify what they already know. A lot of places nowadays will actually look into your social media to figure out who you are, call references, past employers, etc. so just assume they know everything already and they just want to make sure you are who you say you are.

Ask questions, never say "I don't think I have any questions," when they inevitably ask if you have any. That's another red flag, as an employer, we want someone who is hungry to learn about their workplace and grow. Even if it's just a couple simple questions like, "what are the next steps in this process?" or "what's your story of working here?" etc., that's infinitely better than saying, "No I don't have any questions, thank you!"

Good luck though, hope it turns out well for ya!

RFCOIL

Simp team six, going dark.
The 1%
Prestigious
Legacy
Eye contact when they speak, smile when you answer, and have confidence when explaining how you will benefit their company for whatever position. I don't care if you're a humble person, fucking brag about yourself a bit.
So think of your strongest traits and match them with the job requirements on the job posting.
YOURE CONVINCING THEM YOU CAN BE AN ASSET TO THE COMPANY.
I just got hired as a Lead Tech with only 3 years of experience over a tech with 15 years because "They seemed a bit off..."-manager that hired me. So don't over do it just imagine a conversation with your mom or grandma.
good luck

PwnageKO

VIP
Legacy
Confidence and being friendly, convince them and impress them with shit that you can do like cum onto Mars. Simple stuff really

Will my shitposts impress them?

PwnageKO

VIP
Legacy
As a manager of a $14 million restaurant (no bullshit), I will always judge my candidates I interview based on their energy. Yes, be professional, but also have a sort of energy about you. If you seem just kinda dull and you say all the right stuff, that's fine, but a lot of it is how you say what you're saying.

On top of that, red flags are if they talk about money. No shit, you're applying partially because you want money. There has to be some sort of other passion or reason for wanting to work there. If it's a place where wage is negotiable, go for it, but don't make it seem like money is a primary motivator.

Be honest, act as if they already know everything about you and as if they're asking you what they're asking you to verify what they already know. A lot of places nowadays will actually look into your social media to figure out who you are, call references, past employers, etc. so just assume they know everything already and they just want to make sure you are who you say you are.

Ask questions, never say "I don't think I have any questions," when they inevitably ask if you have any. That's another red flag, as an employer, we want someone who is hungry to learn about their workplace and grow. Even if it's just a couple simple questions like, "what are the next steps in this process?" or "what's your story of working here?" etc., that's infinitely better than saying, "No I don't have any questions, thank you!"

Good luck though, hope it turns out well for ya!

My biggest worry is that I have a lot of initial anxiety when put into unfamiliar social settings and I already am trying to anticipate how it may impact me. Both to mentally prepare and to hopefully recognize it to hopefully correct it then.

Another annoyance is that this job is pretty out of my field and I was honestly surprised they wanted to interview me lol. I am mainly applying to microbio-related jobs and saw a chemistry qc position and decided it couldn't hurt to apply. So I literally dropped the same resume highlighting microbiology experience and for some reason this is the one that goes through. Smh.

PwnageKO

VIP
Legacy
Eye contact when they speak, smile when you answer, and have confidence when explaining how you will benefit their company for whatever position. I don't care if you're a humble person, fucking brag about yourself a bit.
So think of your strongest traits and match them with the job requirements on the job posting.
YOURE CONVINCING THEM YOU CAN BE AN ASSET TO THE COMPANY.
I just got hired as a Lead Tech with only 3 years of experience over a tech with 15 years because "They seemed a bit off..."-manager that hired me. So don't over do it just imagine a conversation with your mom or grandma.
good luck

I normally would feel way more capable of bragging how I would be an asset, but this one position is literally wayyy out of my comfort zone. I think I only got through because I highlighted a course I took my last year of Uni that basically taught me all the shit I would need for a job like this... but that was months ago and all that course taught/reminded me of was why I switched to microbiology from chemistry.

PwnageKO

VIP
Legacy

Lol, on a more specific note.

Would you recommend going clean-shaven or a very tight trim for beards going into an interview?

I was already planning on touching it up some, but all the advice from (generally older people) is to always go clean-shaven and I'm like... that feels like such... uh, Boomer Shit. Like, I get it. But I hate how it is still even a cultural thing that a beard is considered unprofessional by some. Hell, a well-trimmed beard with beard oil/shaped with balm looks way better IMO. Now, if the job requires a clean-shave then I feel like that can be addressed when it arises. If a job may require a shorter hair cut due to contamination risk that doesn't mean I should buzz my hair off for just the interview lol.

Sorry for the ramble. I got annoyed. I appreciate all the help btw.

Klutch

always down horrifically bad
Legacy
Lol, on a more specific note.

Would you recommend going clean-shaven or a very tight trim for beards going into an interview?

I was already planning on touching it up some, but all the advice from (generally older people) is to always go clean-shaven and I'm like... that feels like such... uh, Boomer Shit. Like, I get it. But I hate how it is still even a cultural thing that a beard is considered unprofessional by some. Hell, a well-trimmed beard with beard oil/shaped with balm looks way better IMO. Now, if the job requires a clean-shave then I feel like that can be addressed when it arises. If a job may require a shorter hair cut due to contamination risk that doesn't mean I should buzz my hair off for just the interview lol.

Sorry for the ramble. I got annoyed. I appreciate all the help btw.
As far as my job goes, we have employees with beards, but they do have to be taken care of, so in my case, I don’t mind a beard if I’m interviewing someone. Honestly tho it probably depends on the job.

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
I 100% disagree with this, and no offense Klutch, but to me it sounds like your company is willing to take advantage of your employees then.

Money should be a comfortable conversation during a job interview. If it isn't, and if a wage discussion is determent to whether you get the job or not- run.

Of course
money is primary motivator. If you're not going to pay me, I'm not going to work. You're not applying for a volunteer position.

LoviSa

✧⁺‧Swag lord‧⁺✧
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Don't have a criminal record