Implemented Change the chat back again again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting on this suggestion has been paused.

Black

3rd Color of the Rainbow
VIP
Legacy
I heard if you buy 3 people prestigious you get 1 wish from a magic gene. That's how you're going to get the old chat back.

iii

Legacy
I think that if you're going to implement a new chat, it should at least have all the features the last one did, which yes it's a lot of work, but you're the ones trying to make something new instead of working on what already exists.

- the chat completely clearing when the map changes is bad;
- the inability to select and copy text from the chat is bad;
- the menu flashing for a split second when you press esc while in the chat is annoying;
- the name autocomplete half of the time taking you to the start of the message is detrimental;
- minorly, since I don't think most people even use it, the new chat doesn't have filters like the last one;
- pressing u doesn't open the chat on team_say mode, doesn't even open the chat at all;
- a rare bug that literally never happened before this chat, I don't know if it has happened with anyone else, but has happened to me 3 times: I frequently alt tab, possibly while using the chat in between, my game got stuck in a state where I couldn't go back to the main menu, no matter what I did, pressing the console button doesn't work, pressing esc doesn't work, alt tabbing trying it again many times doesn't work.. this rendered me unable to leave the server or join another server unless I had a bind for leaving or I force quit my game on shift tab.
- typing ahg_chatannouncement_interval 0 in console with this current chat causes your game to get incredibly laggy and later periodically freeze, making it incredibly difficult to set it to another value, not very likely people would type that, but this was a troll message people typed before, that that is the command to stop the announcements. On the original chat it just spammed the absolute shit of your chat, in this chat it lags your game too.
- the above situation ^ implies there are performance issues with the new chat, possibly because there is no limit to the amount of messages it can hold, it's only being mitigated by it being cleared every map change or every time you rejoin, but as I mentioned, that isn't a plus.

While I can understand the want to do a bunch of cool things, this is a lot of work you're setting yourself to do.
You could try giving yourself more time to polish it before putting it on the server, or you could do way more work every day than you're getting paid for, if you're even getting paid for it. A server isn't built in a day nor a month, nor was GMod.

Pacifist

the real deal
Legacy
I think that if you're going to implement a new chat, it should at least have all the features the last one did, which yes it's a lot of work, but you're the ones trying to make something new instead of working on what already exists.

- the chat completely clearing when the map changes is bad;
- the inability to select and copy text from the chat is bad;
- the menu flashing for a split second when you press esc while in the chat is annoying;
- the name autocomplete half of the time taking you to the start of the message is detrimental;
- minorly, since I don't think most people even use it, the new chat doesn't have filters like the last one;
- pressing u doesn't open the chat on team_say mode, doesn't even open the chat at all;
- a rare bug that literally never happened before this chat, I don't know if it has happened with anyone else, but has happened to me 3 times: I frequently alt tab, possibly while using the chat in between, my game got stuck in a state where I couldn't go back to the main menu, no matter what I did, pressing the console button doesn't work, pressing esc doesn't work, alt tabbing trying it again many times doesn't work.. this rendered me unable to leave the server or join another server unless I had a bind for leaving or I force quit my game on shift tab.
- typing ahg_chatannouncement_interval 0 in console with this current chat causes your game to get incredibly laggy and later periodically freeze, making it incredibly difficult to set it to another value, not very likely people would type that, but this was a troll message people typed before, that that is the command to stop the announcements. On the original chat it just spammed the absolute shit of your chat, in this chat it lags your game too.
- the above situation ^ implies there are performance issues with the new chat, possibly because there is no limit to the amount of messages it can hold, it's only being mitigated by it being cleared every map change or every time you rejoin, but as I mentioned, that isn't a plus.

While I can understand the want to do a bunch of cool things, this is a lot of work you're setting yourself to do.
You could try giving yourself more time to polish it before putting it on the server, or you could do way more work every day than you're getting paid for, if you're even getting paid for it. A server isn't built in a day nor a month, nor was GMod.
Basically: why do you need a flashy busted ass chat when the old one functioned? Lmao

My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Kachow
Developer
VIP
Legacy
Basically: why do you need a flashy busted ass chat when the old one functioned? Lmao
Because the old chat was shit. Come behind the scenes and try to do anything with the chat. I'll bet you'll have fun working with a chatbox that's been coded in 2008 with C++

RFCOIL

Simp team six, going dark.
The 1%
Prestigious
Legacy
Because the old chat was shit. Come behind the scenes and try to do anything with the chat. I'll bet you'll have fun working with a chatbox that's been coded in 2008 with C++
It was a polished turd though Dime, I wont slap your taint if you're working on a new chat but like use the polished turd, until this turd is a little more hydrated and has less peanuts on the way out ya know?

Last edited:

My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Kachow
Developer
VIP
Legacy
Well here's the thing. We can't keep complaining "oh the chat bla bla bla". I remove it because everyone says to remove it, fix the bug, then a couple of days later "oh the chat has new bug bla bla bla". Things aren't always perfect and I can't test for everything before releasing to public. Once something is out in the wild then when people tell me something I can go ahead and fix it. I can't keep removing the chatbox every time someone complains of a bug. Same with pointshop and weapons.

Acnologia

:再
VIP
Legacy
Add options to change the format for the new chatbox atleast. The spacing between messages is too much and the chat itself is too small in terms of width.

SavannahBanana

I Love RDM
VIP
Legacy

SavannahBanana

I Love RDM
VIP
Legacy
the only thing i dont like is the blackish window around the text, just make it completely black or another color behind the text. its really hard to see for blind people like myself

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Accepted/implemented, the new chat will take an extended vacation while it's overhauled and extensively retested.

Status
Not open for further replies.