Rejected Enact punishments for detectives randomly tasing people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

I've Been ... Thunderstruck!!!
VIP
Legacy
I was recently tased by a detective while I was an innocent, leading to me being killed easily by a traitor.

In my opinion, the act of randomly tasing an innocent or other detective as a detective without a valid reason (AKA not in self defense or in reaction to a T act) should be an act punishable by a slay if it leads to the tased innocent/detective being killed or damaged by a traitor while tased.

I believe this because the detective in this scenario robs the tased innocent/detective the ability to defend themselves, and in effect is toxic gameplay because this helps the traitors win the round by allowing the traitor a free kill.

Please say that some of you agree with me on this.

Last edited:
Voting on this suggestion has been paused.

Aidan

Expert Member
I'm going to currently stay neutral because, it is fun to be randomly tazed in my opinion or to randomly taze somebody, but if it does result in the death of someone I completely agree it should result in a slay (only if the person is reported). I would call it toxic gameplay, because I do not see myself as a toxic player and I will randomly taze people who I know are chill and won't get angry. I see your points though Lightning.

green county health dept

Legacy
wait you can randomly tase with no repercussions? I’m hard as a rock brother, maining taser detective instead of teleporter detective now

And honestly yeah, pretty fucking dumb you can easily get slapped by a crybaby boss baby for trying to help your team with the taser by forcing a test, but you don’t get slapped for helping the enemy just by “haha taser go brrrr” It’s like shooting a homie in the foot randomly

Lightning

I've Been ... Thunderstruck!!!
VIP
Legacy
I'm going to currently stay neutral because, it is fun to be randomly tazed in my opinion or to randomly taze somebody, but if it does result in the death of someone I completely agree it should result in a slay (only if the person is reported). I would call it toxic gameplay, because I do not see myself as a toxic player and I will randomly taze people who I know are chill and won't get angry. I see your points though Lightning.
In my honest opinion, the purpose of buying a taser is to have a weapon that will incapacitate a person(s) seen performing a t act, then having the time while the suspicious person(s) are down to pull out a main weapon and put them down.

Aidan

Expert Member
In my honest opinion, the purpose of buying a taser is to have a weapon that will incapacitate a person(s) seen performing a t act, then having the time while the suspicious person(s) are down to pull out a main weapon and put them down.
Yeah, I still use it for that sometimes, but I would say 90% of the time I use it to shit around (or at least I buy it with that purpose and actually use it later on).

CodeName_Cypher

VIP
I agree with this but then again, it's what makes it fun to use. Like Aidan said, if you are gonna randomly taze someone make sure you are cool with that person. Overall, a funny/useful tool against T's or messing around with your friends. It will be fair if punishable by report only.

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
For the record, a detective shooting someone with their taser is an implied KOS on the person they are tasing. They can be killed by the detective, or anyone else present. If the killer is an innocent, the detective can be reported for a false KOS. I don't think the original post conveys this properly. Now, there is the case, in which @Lightning is referring to here where the person who kills the tased is a traitor. That is currently handled under Toxic Gameplay, and in rarer circumstances, metagaming.

I think the best solution to this is to just have the taser do a small amount of damage so that a 'meaningless tase' can be considered RDM.

capri sun

VIP
Legacy
Lightning, my dude, people weren't asking for the tazer to incapacitate shit, they were asking for it in the same reason people want to go to Dust 2 (or Portals, Dust area).

You wanna report for propkilling? Go ahead.

You wanna report for getting tazed and dying? Go ahead.

The detective who tazed you will appear in the logs (if not a little fucked up on the damage being done).

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
wait you can randomly tase with no repercussions? I’m hard as a rock brother, maining taser detective instead of teleporter detective now

And honestly yeah, pretty fucking dumb you can easily get slapped by a crybaby boss baby for trying to help your team with the taser by forcing a test, but you don’t get slapped for helping the enemy just by “haha taser go brrrr” It’s like shooting a homie in the foot randomly
I don’t see anything wrong with forcing a test using a taser. What tule were you punished under?

green county health dept

Legacy
I don’t see anything wrong with forcing a test using a taser. What tule were you punished under?
Haven’t tried it yet, and probably won’t due since it sounds like it’s both likely to get the guy killed by an innocent thinking it’s an auto kos, the magneto stick meta was patched, and @Pierogi stating it’s a loophole if possible

If someone wants to try their hand at it, the theory craft might be finding a prop (bowling ball sized would be perfect) and using that to push the body around with. Might kill them in the process

“Rejected. As @Ashes Relandi said, it was the driving force behind several server crashes. Secondly, it opened a loophole in the rules where someone could taze someone, throw them in the tester, and then kill them if they tested as traitor.”

green county health dept

Legacy
For the record, a detective shooting someone with their taser is an implied KOS on the person they are tasing. They can be killed by the detective, or anyone else present. If the killer is an innocent, the detective can be reported for a false KOS. I don't think the original post conveys this properly. Now, there is the case, in which @Lightning is referring to here where the person who kills the tased is a traitor. That is currently handled under Toxic Gameplay, and in rarer circumstances, metagaming.

I think the best solution to this is to just have the taser do a small amount of damage so that a 'meaningless tase' can be considered RDM.
Most cases seem to be covered here via implied koses and toxic gameplay for the detective...

But what about an innocent getting their sweaty meaty claws on it? The tasers range can make it a little hard to figure out who did what in a crowded tester situation, what if an inno tases randomly and the implied kos thing is a fun cycle of fun

Make it do damage

Nathan776

Administrator
VIP
Supporter
Legacy
Tbh the implied kos from a taser sounds kinda ass. I like the idea of being able to force a test by using a taser. If somebody really wanted to call a kos, its not difficult while the other person is incapacitated. It also kind of just removes various aspects which could be cool, like allowing a detective to get away if he's being chased by people etc. I'd rather it be a tool in a detectives arsenal that he feels free to use than a tool which designates others to kill somebody. Also I just think its a lot more fun this way.

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
I'll address two things - the situation that led to this suggestion, and changes going forward.

You were tased by a detective because "you were menacingly following them" (paraphrased from the report response). While you were tased, you were killed by a traitor. Now, tasing someone is indeed a passive KOS for the duration of the incapacitation. However, it is longstanding practice that we do not slay if a single false KOS does not affect gameplay (i.e. the KOS is not followed or the KOSed player is killed by a traitor). So this kill would not warrant an RDM slay.

But what about a toxic gameplay slay? Repeated false KOSes on players would result in a warning for toxic gameplay, regardless of if the KOSes affected gameplay. This situation, on the other hand, was a single taze off of suspicion (not enough for a KOS, but still some kind of reasoning). Toxic gameplay punishments weigh two primary factors - intent and repetition. Neither of those were sufficiently demonstrated in this scenario to even warrant a warning.

We've had an update to limit the taser to one shot and have the shot inflict 10 damage on the dev backlog, but I'll make sure we get it pushed out as soon as possible, since it's caused a fair amount of drama recently. Hopefully it will make people think a little harder before tasing someone.

Overall, this suggestion is rejected. Once this update is pushed, taser-related RDM will just be handled like normal RDM.

Status
Not open for further replies.