Pending Fix or Remove Bomb Rush

Everlong

VIP
I think at this point it is obvious how loathed bomb rush is by the community. There have been suggestions to rework it, to straight out remove it, and I am simply just going to state the reasons that I have heard and how they could be fixed.

Shitboxes
The bomb hitboxes are an absolute joke. You can click everywhere on somebody who is standing still and nothing would happen. It is down to RNG if you hit them or not even when they are standing still, let alone moving. It is not fun when you start with the bomb and just cannot hit anybody due to shitreg. My only suggestion would be to increase the bomb hitbox.

Map Sizes
All maps are different sizes. The timer is the same regardless of map. Imagine this, its a 1v1 on Community Skating and you are far away from the other player. It will take more than nine seconds to reach them, you are basically dead. The radar doesn't help to find people who keep moving around which is another point I will get to. My solution to the map size problem would be to add a battle-royale-esque cloud that slowly closes in on the center and slowly kills whoever is not inside of it if possible, or an incentive to move closer to the center in general in order to avoid camping and situations like I mentioned above.

Useless Radar
The idea of the Radar is good in concept, but the execution is terrible. If somebody is constantly running around on a confusing, mazy map(such as chaser, although thats just an example), the radar is useless. My suggestion is to simply just outline everybody instead when the radar is supposed to pop up, it would be easier to find people. Pair this with the previous suggestion and the late game of this shouldn't be too bad.

Conclusion
Bomb rush is flawed. Just remove it or fix it, my suggestions are suggestions and I said why I(and probably MANY others), dislike it. I know Ryan covered this before, but this is just my take on the whole situation. If some of these changes are impossible, just remove the mode. Everybody groans when it shows up, maybe replace it with one of the many fun rounds suggested here.

Also Bonks this is why I was AFK in that one round.

Last edited:

8BitF0x

a pixelated fox that love rdm
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
Skill issue.

Evil Pauly

Serious Member
Administrator
VIP
Supporter
I think playing 100 rounds of bomb rush back to back would suck, but I think if bee make it so bomb rush rounds only happen sometimes, like if they have a chance to happen once a map along with a whole bunch of other special game modes I think it would be fun.

Nathan776

Administrator
VIP
Supporter
Legacy
I assume the "shitboxes" are more related to desync? Out of curiosity if during the mode everybody got set to a specific skin with a larger hitbox, would there be a significant difference or would hits still not register?

Everlong

VIP
I assume the "shitboxes" are more related to desync? Out of curiosity if during the mode everybody got set to a specific skin with a larger hitbox, would there be a significant difference or would hits still not register?
Good question, I guess somebody will have to test that out. But I know I heard a lot of complaints about the hitboxes in addition to my own struggles. I also forgot to mention how somebody camping in a corner can simply just avoid the knockback and immediately give the bomb back (if the hitboxes work). It seems like at the moment, camping is encouraged for this mode, which is a problem with the big maps and stuff.

waffle

[VALVᴱ] employee
VIP
Legacy
shitboxes will ruin everything, also someone on a low end pc will struggle greatly if all the remaining players got outlined +1 to fix the hitbox issues but i doubt that could happen I like nathans idea of a specific model being forced maybe that could work

Everlong

VIP
Don't make bomb rush playable on big maps simple!!!! The solution
Most maps are kind of too big for it thats a problem. When it gets to a 1v1 and they are across the map, 9 seconds is never enough for getting there if you got RNG screwed. That would be putting a band-aid on a larger problem anyways.

waffle

[VALVᴱ] employee
VIP
Legacy
Most maps are kind of too big for it thats a problem. When it gets to a 1v1 and they are across the map, 9 seconds is never enough for getting there if you got RNG screwed. That would be putting a band-aid on a larger problem anyways.
9 seconds is way too much time, if you fail with 9 seconds theres no blame other than the other players being more skilled at bomb rush. I think 6-7 seconds could balance out this maybe even 5

Everlong

VIP
9 seconds is way too much time, if you fail with 9 seconds theres no blame other than the other players being more skilled at bomb rush. I think 6-7 seconds could balance out this maybe even 5
I once won on Snowden since the last guy was too far from me to even get to me in the 9 seconds.

waffle

[VALVᴱ] employee
VIP
Legacy
I once won on Snowden since the last guy was too far from me to even get to me in the 9 seconds.
it was likely a inexperienced bomb rush player (given if your anecdotal evidence is even true) ive seen ex bomb rush pros who used to only play the gamemode to pratice the funround on sgm they could get through the map in 3 seconds with bomb, even a player whos played at least ten rounds of bomb rush can get there in 5

Everlong

VIP
it was likely a inexperienced bomb rush player (given if your anecdotal evidence is even true) ive seen ex bomb rush pros who used to only play the gamemode to pratice the funround on sgm they could get through the map in 3 seconds with bomb, even a player whos played at least ten rounds of bomb rush can get there in 5
Makes sense I guess, but if you need to constantly practice on another server to just be ass at it, then what is the fun of the "Fun Round"?

waffle

[VALVᴱ] employee
VIP
Legacy
Makes sense I guess, but if you need to constantly practice on another server to just be ass at it, then what is the fun of the "Fun Round"?
Hey, all im saying is that the 9 seconds is more than enough time no matter the map. Not about its legitimacy as a "fun round"

Everlong

VIP
Hey, all im saying is that the 9 seconds is more than enough time no matter the map. Not about its legitimacy as a "fun round"
I disagree with you but you still make some pretty fair points. It just goes down to opinion, and my opinion is that it shpuld be extended. Plus, I just want the mode reworked to be a bit less groan-worthy, the suggestions I put don't need to be followed word by word. I just want people to see that there is a genuine problem with this "Fun Round". Other fun rounds are great like Infection, Deathmatch, Harpoon Wars, Dodgeball, even Flying Scoutsman. But they all have one thing in common, they still stick close to general TTT gameplay so somebody who never played those modes before can easily get into it for one round. Bomb rush, not really. I only knew it since its a semi-common mode across other games, but not everybody would immediately know it.

Halen

VIP
Legacy
I hate on bomb rush all the time but I don't think the mode is flawed. I think the question here is whether or not to remove it but it seems like more people enjoy it than not. I'll admit, sometimes it even becomes a fun round when I don't get a bomb spawned on me in the final 3 when i'm nowhere near anyone else. So, I don't really think it should be removed, and I don't think there are any changes to be made.
-Larry, Daedric Prince of Toxicity

My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Kachow
Developer
VIP
Legacy
While I was originally programming bomb rush, I did encounter this shitbox hitreg when attempting to pass the bomb off. I added a 0.3-second delay between each attempt to pass it off as to prevent people from handing it back and forth several times a second. I can tell you there is no RNG but I won't deny that handing it off was pretty finicky, though when testing it seemed fine to me. I have seen the frustrations that you all have faced regarding this. I can look into making the handoff better, again though we're working with a 20+ year-old game engine. I wish I could tell you why this is happening but it'll require me to investigate.

As for the radar, I can also look into this. It is impossible to get every player's position every tick since on the client, once a player is no longer in a loaded section of the map, their position will no longer update until they are back in a loaded section of the map for a client. The solution to this is getting the player's position on the server and then sending it to each client. The problem is that this can put A LOT of strain on the server broadcasting the position of every alive player, hence why the radar is limited to a 3-second update. I can also look into better solutions for this but it'll take time.

Everlong

VIP
While I was originally programming bomb rush, I did encounter this shitbox hitreg when attempting to pass the bomb off. I added a 0.3-second delay between each attempt to pass it off as to prevent people from handing it back and forth several times a second. I can tell you there is no RNG but I won't deny that handing it off was pretty finicky, though when testing it seemed fine to me. I have seen the frustrations that you all have faced regarding this. I can look into making the handoff better, again though we're working with a 20+ year-old game engine. I wish I could tell you why this is happening but it'll require me to investigate.

As for the radar, I can also look into this. It is impossible to get every player's position every tick since on the client, once a player is no longer in a loaded section of the map, their position will no longer update until they are back in a loaded section of the map for a client. The solution to this is getting the player's position on the server and then sending it to each client. The problem is that this can put A LOT of strain on the server broadcasting the position of every alive player, hence why the radar is limited to a 3-second update. I can also look into better solutions for this but it'll take time.
makes sense, thanks for the response

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy

Solution for the radar bit could be to activate it later in the round. Its totally useless to have it at the beginning

Edit: wait a minute. Dont do it live time. Even something like a 5-10 second update would work. You just need a general idea of which direction to go.

Last edited:

Everlong

VIP
I know that one randomat mod has a thing that outlines every player in real time