Answered GIF Spam - Inconsistent Enforcement? What constitutes as GIF spam?

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Heya,

I've seen a lot of warnings and well... no warnings at all, for gif spam on the AHG Discord. I heard about Pauly's ban and when looking back at the time he was banned- most of the GIFs were actually relevant to the conversation (not all, but more were relevant than were not).

So I was curious. What constitutes as GIF spam? How many GIFs are allowed per minute I guess? And whatever this limit may be, does it count to gifs that are being actively discussed and are apart of the conversation? I've seen WAY spammier instances than what lead to Pauly's two week ban so I was just hoping this could be clarified because at face value the ban doesn't really seem to make sense

helix

Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
@Pokeben10 has made it clear that apparently this Q&A has caused confusion, which is why this has gone unanswered.

I'm asking about the rules regarding posting GIFs in shoutbox. I don't care about Pauly's ban. Pauly is a cool dude, but I'd assume the rules would be the same regardless if it was Pauly or not. Pauly probably deserves his ban, idk, idc. This isn't a report against Titan for banning Pauly. Pauly is a big boy and I'm sure he can handle himself.

So to reiterate, my question is- What constitutes as GIF spam? How many GIFs are allowed per minute I guess? And whatever this limit may be, does it count to gifs that are being actively discussed and are apart of the conversation?

I apologize for bringing up Pauly.

Last edited:

Andy

One of AHG's official music nerds
Hi, I see this all as a rather subjective topic, when one mod will see something as spam, another might not and so on, however, in terms of putting a number on GIFs per minute, I don't think this would be a good idea as it would cause havoc for the staffing team as they would then have to count per minute to check if anyone was GIF spamming, rather than having their own subjective ideas of "this is spam to me" and acting as such, overall it is a very subjective thing to each moderator and with one, what is spam, might not be to another - hope this helps :)

helix

Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Hi, I see this all as a rather subjective topic, when one mod will see something as spam, another might not and so on, however, in terms of putting a number on GIFs per minute, I don't think this would be a good idea as it would cause havoc for the staffing team as they would then have to count per minute to check if anyone was GIF spamming, rather than having their own subjective ideas of "this is spam to me" and acting as such, overall it is a very subjective thing to each moderator and with one, what is spam, might not be to another - hope this helps :)
Thanks!