Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy

AllOfYourMoney

VIP
Legacy
which, stay with me here, EFFECTIVELY EXTENDS THE BARREL
Do I need to post a picture of my suppressor to prove it doesn't?

A suppressor doesn't have rifling to make contact with the bullet and the bullet has effectively left the firearm when it enters a suppressor.

A suppressor actually generally causes point of impact shift but has little to no net change in accuracy. Depending on caliber it may slightly extend the range due to the increased back pressure but that's near the margin of error.

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy

A suppressor doesn't have rifling to make contact with the bullet and the bullet has effectively left the firearm when it enters a suppressor.

A suppressor actually generally causes point of impact shift but has little to no net change in accuracy. Depending on caliber it may slightly extend the range due to the increased back pressure but that's near the margin of error.
lol sounds like you need to hit the range more often

Everlong

VIP
I never use it since its kinda irrelevant, but that is a gun where headshots are king and it should have better accuracy. +1

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy

It becomes more negligible as the barrel length increases, but we're talking about pistols here. A suppressor on a pistol will make a noticeable increase to velocity.

Take this article, for example:
Contrary to video games using a suppressor does not reduce your range or accuracy. Suppressors can actually increase muzzle velocity with what’s called free bore boost. In simple terms the suppressor can act almost as a barrel extension and increase muzzle velocities up to 50fps.

Depending on the handgun, caliber, and type of ammo used, a suppressor can easily increase the FPS of a round by >5%

AllOfYourMoney

VIP
Legacy
It becomes more negligible as the barrel length increases, but we're talking about pistols here. A suppressor on a pistol will make a noticeable increase to velocity.

Take this article, for example:

Depending on the handgun, caliber, and type of ammo used, a suppressor can easily increase the FPS of a round by >5%
If you pay attention to ballistic testing on ammunition, a lot of ammunition has a 25-50+ fps delta at any given time, within the same batch, within the same box. Also as per your link a suppressor CAN increase muzzle velocity. There is a key word there which I actually acknowledged with the backpressure statement above. Newton's third law and all.

While a suppressor will cause increased back pressure claiming that it will cause increased accuracy assumes all other variables are static. Firearms are complex devices.

Regardless of the accuracy of the pistol increasing pressure does not necessarily increase accuracy. If simply increasing muzzle velocity made something more accurate why would competition shooters ever use anything but as powerful of a load as they can manage? If you ever spend some time reloading ammunition (i.e. making your own bullets with specific powder loads) you will learn that any firearm has a sweet spot in powder load that translates to the most accuracy, and it is nearly never at the top of the range of what is safe to shoot. My point being - the more powder, the higher muzzle velocity, until it explodes and that higher muzzle velocity does not necessarily translate to greater accuracy.

-Someone who has been shooting and reloading their entire life lol

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Mom. Dad. Stop fighting. Let’s just make the change because it’s a good suggestion, yeah?

AllOfYourMoney

VIP
Legacy
Mom. Dad. Stop fighting. Let’s just make the change because it’s a good suggestion, yeah?
I think the suppressed pistol needs a slight increase in accuracy regardless of the above, because right now its kind of useless. But I don't think it needs to have sniper accuracy at range like at times it has felt like in the past

Halen

VIP
Legacy
I'm not the best shot on the server but i'm very competent and I don't think the silent pistol is remotely worth using. If anyone would like to convince me that it's ever a good way to spend a credit go ahead

Ashes Relandi

Weeb
Administrator
VIP
Legacy
I feel the silenced pistol definitely needs some sort of tweaking/buff.
Almost no one buys it as it's practically outclassed by the TMP.

Not sure what happened with the old silenced pistol (diff model, sounds + accuracy) but that one was actually pretty decent.

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
While a suppressor will cause increased back pressure claiming that it will cause increased accuracy assumes all other variables are static. Firearms are complex devices.
I spoke to my dad who used to be a competitive shooter to get his thoughts. The first thing he said was something like "civilians who own silencers are either far-right militia crazies or weirdos who wear custom body armor because they can't find a vest that covers their whole belly". Then he mentioned that on top of increased backpressure, the gases that the suppressor distributes will get pushed inward and act as a stabilizing force on the bullet, cutting down the MOA a little bit. On top of that, if you're shooting a suppressed handgun, you're probably using subsonic ammunition. Subsonic ammunition is known to be a bit more stable/accurate, as all sorts of weird things happen when a bullet breaks the sound barrier. At the end of the day, an experienced shooter will have slightly better groupings with a suppressor, especially on a handgun. The reason you might not is that you aren't used to the changes in point of impact and increased barrel weight. Which, as they say, skill issue.

Regardless, in a game where people can consistently get hipfire headshots a 100 yards with a Colt M1911 while moving, I'm okay with making a suppressed pistol more accurate.

Virunas

CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Prestigious
Legacy
I’ll main it again like i did at the end of SGM :)

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Fixed a bug that made the headshot multiplier 2.7 instead of 4 like it was supposed to be. The base damage is 28, so this meant it wasn't doing 1 shot headshots.

Separately, I've raised the HS multiplier to 5 so that it can 1 shot HS targets with body armor.

tz-

VIP
Legacy
Fixed a bug that made the headshot multiplier 2.7 instead of 4 like it was supposed to be. The base damage is 28, so this meant it wasn't doing 1 shot headshots.

Separately, I've raised the HS multiplier to 5 so that it can 1 shot HS targets with body armor.
based