Answered Privacy and Discord Linking

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Heya. I tried asking this in Discord but I think the linking channel is just way too spammy at the moment so I think Temar missed it.

Currently Discord names are not shown on profiles, but Temar noted that it will be in the future. Because of this, I don't want to link my Discord account currently.

So my questions are:
  1. What restrictions will I expect to see in Discord by not linking?
  2. When I asked whether you will be able to disable it being shown in the future, Temar said he will consider it. So I'm curious- what is the argument for keeping it public? Viewable to staff is fine, but why does it need to be displayed to everyone?
Thanks!

Solution
1. to start with name changing as been restricted, soon more restrictions will be added possibly to the point you cant really do much with out linking.
2. at the moment the main purpose of linking is to reduce spam account/duplicate accounts and provide the means to know who a person is in discord to giving roles
there is no current plan to publicly display this, but cant guarantee it won't be added in future and may or may not be optional, as I don't really understand the need to hide it?
also there will probably be a shoutbox added to forum eventually and this will need to know which discord user links to which forum user for better integration.

Temar

Assistant Director
VIP
Legacy
1. to start with name changing as been restricted, soon more restrictions will be added possibly to the point you cant really do much with out linking.
2. at the moment the main purpose of linking is to reduce spam account/duplicate accounts and provide the means to know who a person is in discord to giving roles
there is no current plan to publicly display this, but cant guarantee it won't be added in future and may or may not be optional, as I don't really understand the need to hide it?
also there will probably be a shoutbox added to forum eventually and this will need to know which discord user links to which forum user for better integration.

Solution

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy

Displaying the Discord name publicly on profiles would also make it visible to search engines. Some people may not want their Discord name to show up on these searches.

EDIT: Talked to Temar via DM a bit more about the concerns. He let me know that it would be setup in a way that wouldn't be caught by webcrawlers. That was my only concern. Thanks!

Last edited: