Important Temporary Server Shutdowns - TTT EU and Minecraft

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
i mean the vanilla server never felt like a vanilla server to begin with imo, from what i remember you guys changed the stats of almost every weapon, with some of the changes drastically affecting the gunplay. the m16 was completely altered and became a whole new gun and the way you'd use it completely changed, you added an auto sniper that was very strong, and reworked a bunch of other shit that prolly should have been left alone. vanilla players like the vanilla guns that's why they play on vanilla servers, messing with stats of every base ttt weapon and adding a large amount of css weapons isn't going to attract the kind of players who are going to stay. shit was doomed from the start, most of the pop was sgm players and those who liked vanilla stopped playing pretty quickly. a lot of the changes you guys made were pretty cool but they were polarizing af to the vanilla community, sgm had a lot of non-vanilla shit but it still felt like a vanilla server, ahg went overboard with all the changes. there's prolly a lot more that can be said about the vanilla server, you had reasons for the changes you made and they were prolly good reasons but regardless the server died and the people from sgm that played on vanilla have pretty much all left, i see more demand for a new vanilla server than the EU server on the forums tho and i think there's more demand for one than you might think in the ttt community as a whole, there's just no good vanilla server being supported by people with the capacity to support one and you could change that in august.
This is the single most useful feedback I've seen about vanilla since the server shut down, so I thank you for posting it.

As I stated before, I'm not against a vanilla server. I am against a second US server at the moment. Why? Well, the majority of our playerbase at the moment is North American. That makes an EU server unlikely to split pop in any way that seriously affects the community. There's much more room to grow players than to split off players, since NA players will likely prioritize playing on an NA server over an EU server. Now, a second NA server will definitely split that playerbase. If anyone wants a vanilla server, the only thing really standing in the way is the current server pop. If you come join us during more repops and show us there's demand for a second server, I'll personally set up a vanilla TTT server.

Nathan776

Administrator
VIP
Supporter
Legacy
Why would Eu TTT change from vanilla to modded when modded was significantly less popular than it during the latter stages of SGM? Realistically, I don't see either server type making a significant enough impact to attract enough new regulars to justify it. If you are locked in on having a European server, why not make the server something similar to what Panda did with game nights before he had one of the gamemodes backdoor'd and gave every epileptic fits and got sued into oblivion (I'll still have my day in court Panda...). At least at that point you'd have a server that can bring the community that already exists together instead of having a server which every once in a blue moon may be populated.

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Why would Eu TTT change from vanilla to modded when modded was significantly less popular than it during the latter stages of SGM?
You're misremembering - East became the most popular SGM server in late December-January, and it got to the point where the vanilla servers were dead most of the time starting in late March.

Nathan776

Administrator
VIP
Supporter
Legacy
You're misremembering - East became the most popular SGM server in late December-January, and it got to the point where the vanilla servers were dead most of the time starting in late March.
In Regards to EU, Eu2 was pretty much dead from 2019 on-wards, EU would occasionally populate to an ok level.

danstorm

Good Morning Gamers
VIP
Legacy
In Regards to EU, Eu2 was pretty much dead from 2019 on-wards, EU would occasionally populate to an ok level.
I attest to this. Which is why I was so sad when Highwon shut down the EU server, since like during my active hours Vanilla was the most popular server, followed by EU server and then there were the other 3 - 4

green county health dept

Legacy
Sounds like the best use of a European server is to use it as a proving ground for a NA vanilla server done right, like how eor described.

There was no incentive for NA vanilla lusting players to deal with both EU ping and a more modded experience than hoped for when modded offers a modded experience and good ping.

Although... I really don’t think a vanilla server splits a player base that much from a modded server in the same region. If you looked at the amount of filthy white names in vanilla vs modded in SGM, it was pretty fucking disproportionate; vanilla often enabled people who didn’t play modded to enjoy the servers and often even served as as jumping block to join the modded ones. The big challenge is making the server simple and enjoyable enough that it populates itself.

I’m not sure how your community is distributed timezone wise right now, but EU modded might be a waste of time, especially if you can’t build a sense of community with the amount of flilthy west coasters unable to populate a server during eus peak gamer time. If you can make a vanilla server simple enjoyable enough it populates itself, the EU community should tend to its flock once more

Black

3rd Color of the Rainbow
VIP
Legacy
  • A lot of attempts were made to repop Vanilla. When we launched modded, it was like flipping a switch - everyone switched from vanilla to modded. We tried to repop, but the community interest was simply not there.
O89MJBT.png
651QpYt.png

yeah man the eu server had a lot of attempts to be popped...

Last edited:

AllOfYourMoney

VIP
Legacy
This is the single most useful feedback I've seen about vanilla since the server shut down, so I thank you for posting it.

As I stated before, I'm not against a vanilla server. I am against a second US server at the moment. Why? Well, the majority of our playerbase at the moment is North American. That makes an EU server unlikely to split pop in any way that seriously affects the community. There's much more room to grow players than to split off players, since NA players will likely prioritize playing on an NA server over an EU server. Now, a second NA server will definitely split that playerbase. If anyone wants a vanilla server, the only thing really standing in the way is the current server pop. If you come join us during more repops and show us there's demand for a second server, I'll personally set up a vanilla TTT server.
I think this is good feedback too, and I just want to give my two cents, which I think many may agree with but I could be wrong. ( INB4 Too long didn't read. I'm giving my opinion on a server I care about, there is a reason its long. )

For SGM, Modded was too Modded, and Vanilla was a little plain.

The things that I think make this game great are the times where you can have some good laughs and mess with people. Oh, you killed someone in a super unique way? That's funny. Some examples: Telefragging is hilarious-Pushing people off edges when they're dumb enough to get near is never not funny-Pulling off a solid Jihad is incredibly satisfying-Getting someone to run into a tripwire is hilarious, especially if its more than one person. Let's be honest for a moment; this is basically a roleplaying game (Traitor, detective, Innocent) where the rules are scripted but how everything else occurs and how you do it is up to you. This is hardly a FPS. This leads to many great experiences with a lot of people. If it didn't, this game mode would be dead by now, as many are.

In modded SGM, you had weapons like the Gauss rifle, and a bunch of 1 hit kill weapons. If someone had decent aim, or people weren't paying attention, they could just wipe up the lobby. You know the ones who would too, we all do. Having this stuff removed a lot of the fun factor, unless your whole goal was just to go on a rampage. So, this removed a lot of the fun moments people could have. A lot of people would leave when certain players would join the game, because they knew that these players came to do exactly that, and it sucks out the fun. The weapons like the Gauss rifle, SL8, MP7 and others basically made it so that with little skill a traitor could mop up the lobby. It made the game seem repetitive. Oh, you shot a traitor, okay now I know he's going to go to cover around the corner, come back with a Gauss rifle, and I will lose that fight. Yes, one can argue maybe I'll get a lucky headshot on them faster than they can get a round off, but let's be honest how often does that happen? Realistically, having all of these overpowered weapons took away from the group being able to have a fun time and fun experiences, and instead gave the fun time to people who wanted to shred kids but got tired of the toxicity of CS: GO.

Vanilla was a lot of the same maps, same guns, same people. Vanilla could get pretty slow and stale. Yes, we are playing minecraft dolls again, yes, a person is sniping from the vents, yes, the same people are playing again. It's basically scripted at that point and you lose the great experience where people try to be creative, play differently, try to do something for laughs. I asked a BUNCH of the staff to get Highwon to allow Jihads, always with the answer "Highwon is against it". I thought Jihads would be perfect. Vanilla was a little slower so a lot more people would be paying attention, and would either have to group shoot the Jihad or get group exploded. It would change how people were grouping up, make the game different, make things a bit unpredictable. There needs to be a level of change game to game and round to round, or else people get bored and leave. You don't want such drastic change that it changes the experience, but you need a little bit or else no one plays. When modded started coming back, I jumped ship. Vanilla felt too predictable, and I didn't get nearly as much of a laugh out of it unless a bunch of funny people were playing. There were just so few tools in the toolbox for creativity and uniqueness. That being said, I also was asking this at a time when Modded was never populated. I personally needed the gameplay to have some change-up to want to continue, and I know a lot of other players needed that as well.

My point bringing this up is I think the server's healthiest level is when its somewhere in the middle of the two experiences. Some where in the middle where the server doesn't have so many OP weapons or traitor weapons that they will have a ridiculously disproportionate win rate. Yet, where the server also has enough things added in to make the game enjoyable and different each time. For example I think the addition of the tazer was a great idea. It isn't too OP, its got range issues and limited ammo, but it changes the gameplay without fundamentally altering the game. I think to get to the perfect middle point the best bet is to not add too many OP traitor weapons, and we probably need a lot less 1 shot kill weapons. Make people work for the kills rather than just playing 1 shot headshot execution simulator. I think if that was done, a lot more people would continue to populate the server, and we would then have population to maintain a vanilla server for the people who think I am an idiot and think Vanilla is the best game mode ever. I am of the belief there IS room for both, and I think Vanilla players probably should get a server with features they like, my opinion be damned. But, I think in order to get to that point there needs to be a focus on the server having those fun moments that gets the server laughing, and keeps the population high, rather than gunplay. Maybe all my ideas are a pipe dream, but that's how I think AHG should learn from SGM's mistakes, move forward, and be successful.

Also, FFS give us the goddamn flare gun back. Do you know how much fun I am missing out on not being able to Gaslight someone literally and metaphorically? Like how do you think I used to drive Pink Waves mad? Now I have to innovate…