What is Metagaming?

Pokeben10

zonin’
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
In TTT, metagaming is when a player does something to intentionally break how the gamemode is meant to be played (AKA the "meta").

Here are a few examples:
  • An innocent teaming up with a traitor to kill innocents. This is metagaming because the innocent is knowingly breaking how the game is meant to be played.
  • A traitor giving innocents traitor weapons with the intent to hinder his traitor buddies.
  • A traitor letting innocents into the traitor room without warning his traitor buddies.
What matters here is intent. Often times, people will do one of these without even realizing they're metagaming, at which point they'll just be given a friendly warning. If we believe that a user is knowingly metagaming, they will receive a harsher punishment.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

25g

VIP
I have trouble with this definition. I have trouble with the word used, too. So, in so many words, metagaming might be defined as intentional subversion, i.e., 'playing for the other team'?

Moleman

Dr Pepper Enthusiast
VIP
Legacy
I have trouble with this definition. I have trouble with the word used, too. So, in so many words, metagaming might be defined as intentional subversion, i.e., 'playing for the other team'?
Essentially yes. Obviously it's a game and the definition isn't so strict, but when you play a terrorist you shouldnt be intentionally helping the traitors, as you yourself are not a traitor.

Titan

One of AHG's official music nerds
Administrator
VIP
Legacy
acting not in accordance with how your role is supposed to act. "meta gaming" is pretty damn broad though. it encompasses so many different scenarios that could arguably be considered "meta gaming" that it's always contextual.

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
A traitor letting innocents into the traitor room.
“A traitor intentionally letting innocents into the T room without warning his t buddies” would be a nicer way to put this one.

Severity of punishment is also largely dependent on intention and outcome. In this case, if a T let innocents into the T room while clearly knowing that there were T buddies in there, they’d likely get an extra slay or even a ban. If they intentionally let innocents into the t room to try and get them KOSed, but forgot to warn, they’d get warned and a slay for each T buddy that reported.

It varies from situation to situation which is why it’s a discretionary punishment. But in basic terms, the way you put it covers most of metagaming: “playing for the other team.”

Virunas

CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Prestigious
Legacy
I feel like gamethrowing is a better term to be used ngl.

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
I feel like gamethrowing is a better term to be used ngl.
Nah, because that would imply that everyone has to play seriously for the objective. You can have fun and not meta game