Biased Treatment

KaiwanHaaztre

Banned
I can't help but notice punishments are not dolled out evenly from person to person. What might be a warning for one person can be a ban for another, despite the staff member issuing the punishments being the same. What's with that?
I have received 0 warnings and 2 bans, once for hate speech and now for advertising, yet I have seen evidence of other users being given only warnings for these same transgressions and even more.

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
To be fair, both of those punishments are discretionary simply because each situation is different, so each situation is going to be handled differently. Regardless of that though, there is this weird perception, probably started from SGM, that GMod communities and gmod staff should uphold this bastion of professionalism and consistency.... It's a gmod community. lol If you find that you're getting harsh punishments, the god to honest truth is probably that you're not very well liked either by the community or the staff that's going hard on ya. That's the nature of any gaming community you're going to come in to unless you have some stereotypical discord mod tier staff. Some people are going to fit in, others won't. That's life.

Nathan776

Administrator
VIP
Supporter
Legacy
I mean people have the option to run a community how they like but I don't disagree with your point. Personally I've always preferred the approach of being more outwardly professional while being more relaxed in specific groups. I find the issue usually becomes finding a balance which all users can interpret without them going "Well a mod can do X so I can do 2X". For example, clearly with whatever the most recent news post is about (Spam?) I'd like to be able to say my behaviour as staff never influenced them that doing that is ok and that they weren't simply given a green light.

On the idea of longer bans (Such as Month-Perma), I find it pretty weak even with some history to ban users for something relatively minor which others do but to a lesser extent. I feel like there are alternative methods which can be used to deal with nuisance users before going to more extreme lengths. Things such as limiting posting ability or specific discord roles with limited ability. All that creating bans with large scopes does is encourage evading.

One thing that I do find slightly odd at the minute is that discord and forum bans are not linked. I can understand In-game bans (To an extent depending on context) not being linked but surely a user can just go - "well I don't really give a crap about the forums so might as well do whatever"?

Lastly, with donating I feel that there is naturally going to be some bias as the users are normally much more well versed in the community and whoever bans the user is likely to get a lot of backlash (or just annoying messages going oooo u banned Jim). They are the kind of users where 10 minutes after banning them you know you are going to get pinged in discord and go - well damn now I better go compile all my evidence... . It's definitely not the donating itself that influences a moderator/admins decision to ban a player.

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
We all have biases. Subconscious or conscious. Pretty similar to what Nathan said is that it isnt the fact that they donated that stops them from getting banned, its the fact that they've been around long enough to know how not to get banned.

That being said, you were warned at least twice for homophobic remarks (Im not saying you are homophobic). Once on discord, and once on the server, before you were ultimately banned.

Black

3rd Color of the Rainbow
VIP
Legacy
i know right i got a 2month+ ban for tagging the staff when some people dont even get a warning unbelievable these guys we should overthrow them

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
I mean people have the option to run a community how they like but I don't disagree with your point. Personally I've always preferred the approach of being more outwardly professional while being more relaxed in specific groups. I find the issue usually becomes finding a balance which all users can interpret without them going "Well a mod can do X so I can do 2X". For example, clearly with whatever the most recent news post is about (Spam?) I'd like to be able to say my behaviour as staff never influenced them that doing that is ok and that they weren't simply given a green light.

On the idea of longer bans (Such as Month-Perma), I find it pretty weak even with some history to ban users for something relatively minor which others do but to a lesser extent. I feel like there are alternative methods which can be used to deal with nuisance users before going to more extreme lengths. Things such as limiting posting ability or specific discord roles with limited ability. All that creating bans with large scopes does is encourage evading.

One thing that I do find slightly odd at the minute is that discord and forum bans are not linked. I can understand In-game bans (To an extent depending on context) not being linked but surely a user can just go - "well I don't really give a crap about the forums so might as well do whatever"?

Lastly, with donating I feel that there is naturally going to be some bias as the users are normally much more well versed in the community and whoever bans the user is likely to get a lot of backlash (or just annoying messages going oooo u banned Jim). They are the kind of users where 10 minutes after banning them you know you are going to get pinged in discord and go - well damn now I better go compile all my evidence... . It's definitely not the donating itself that influences a moderator/admins decision to ban a player.
Another thing that works in regulars' favors is that most of them show that they're capable of being productive members of the community. If someone joins the server and immediately starts being evil, they're probably going to get banned faster and for a longer duration. If a regular is only evil a fraction of the time, they generally get lighter punishments.

Yoishbedoish

Senior Moderator
VIP
Supporter
Another thing that works in regulars' favors is that most of them show that they're capable of being productive members of the community. If someone joins the server and immediately starts being evil, they're probably going to get banned faster and for a longer duration. If a regular is only evil a fraction of the time, they generally get lighter punishments.

evil is an interesting choice of word

Gabriel

Whatever happens, happens
VIP
Supporter
I’m evil a lot of the time but I spend hundreds of hours doing things for the community so they’re stuck with me
Sunk cost fallacy

Sunk this Phallic D in your mom

Virunas

CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Prestigious
Legacy
just bribe the mods (y)
Fr, you didn’t let Pierogi have a free sample of your content. That could’ve easily solved this situation :)
The less often you get into trouble, the less harsh the punishments will be :3

Edit: Nvm the joke in the first half; I just read the appeal lmfao

Last edited: