Rejected Radical Newton Launcher Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel

Whatever happens, happens
VIP
Supporter
Alright hear me out on this one...

What if we make a change to the newton launcher so that inno's could equip it in place of a primary weapon? It is always the weakest link of the T shop, and it would be a nice change of pace compared to everyone just using weapons that kill in one hit. I think its something we should test out for a time to see how it plays

Voting on this suggestion has been paused.

Pokeben10

zonin’
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
why would we do this when they can just have it in their 8 slot lol

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
why would we do this when they can just have it in their 8 slot lol
If everyone can have it, it'd be a nice trade off for it transitioning to a T only tool into a tool that everyone can use. It is useful, just not usually at the expense of a credit. Now everyone can get a useful tool at the expense of a primary weapon, which I think is a pretty fair trade.

And maybe Ts could still buy it as a slot 8 tool and have the benefit of being able to, say, launch themselves into a high sniping point. Also i think it would be better to slot it into a primary role bc it would be more work to have everyone spawn with something in slot 8, probably easier to create a second swep that puts it in the primary slot.

Like i said, the idea is radical

Pokeben10

zonin’
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
If everyone can have it, it'd be a nice trade off for it transitioning to a T only tool into a tool that everyone can use. It is useful, just not usually at the expense of a credit. Now everyone can get a useful tool at the expense of a primary weapon, which I think is a pretty fair trade.

And maybe Ts could still buy it as a slot 8 tool and have the benefit of being able to, say, launch themselves into a high sniping point. Also i think it would be better to slot it into a primary role bc it would be more work to have everyone spawn with something in slot 8, probably easier to create a second swep that puts it in the primary slot.

Like i said, the idea is radical
You want to make it not a traitor weapon because it's bad?

Pokeben10

zonin’
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
It's a portable fun gun that is weak as a t wep, but great as a wep anyone can use.
Can you imagine playing on a map like rooftops, except everyone has a newton launcher? Almost every shot would result in someone falling to their death. That would be so OP.

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
Can you imagine playing on a map like rooftops, except everyone has a newton launcher? Almost every shot would result in someone falling to their death. That would be so OP.
Except not totally bc how many times do people die to newton launchers on any maps like that.

Contrast it with every map that we have in rotation and being killed in one hit from awp/scout/m24/winchester/ksg/barrett/garand/m14 or dying in less than a second from aug/famas/an94/bar/double barrel/galil/hkusc/both m4s.

I can imagine what its like playing on maps where every shot results in instant death, bc that is already what happens.

If you get shot by a newton launcher at least there is a chance you can call out a kos, or you could strafe to safety. This is also assuming that you're actually going to get pushed off, which if you use the newton launcher you'd know doesn't happen as often as you'd like. Its a meme cannon, let everyone share in the fun. It's better than what we currently have in rotation

Max

Supporter
I agree with your thoughts on it being a meme weapon and it's a really fun thing to use because of its utility, but you're asking to let an ingrained thing of 'this is a t weapon' to not be that anymore.

If we can change the color of it to something obviously not blue/white or orange, I'd be more inclined to wanna go with this, but I just don't see this going very well.

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
I agree with your thoughts on it being a meme weapon and it's a really fun thing to use because of its utility, but you're asking to let an ingrained thing of 'this is a t weapon' to not be that anymore.

If we can change the color of it to something obviously not blue/white or orange, I'd be more inclined to wanna go with this, but I just don't see this going very well.
That’s easy enough to do, and people get used to awp/ak not being t weps, and some servers have knives as regular melees.

Wolly

Vanilla is more your speed.
Administrator
VIP
Legacy
Newton Launcher is S tier

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
Newton Launcher is S tier
Newton launcher is S tier for occasional fun assuming you have a T that wants to have fun instead of going on a rampage. Problem is is that it is outclassed by everything else in the T shop

It’s SSS tier when everyone has it. Think of the times when unnamed players drop it for a bunch of innos. Or remember when everyone was trying to boost people on camel and airship? I think it’s in one of vels videos

Max

Supporter
That’s easy enough to do, and people get used to awp/ak not being t weps, and some servers have knives as regular melees.
Fair enough. Would this suggested change remove the T-variant then or would it the t-variant from the shop be stronger to compensate for everyone having it?

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
Fair enough. Would this suggested change remove the T-variant then or would it the t-variant from the shop be stronger to compensate for everyone having it?
I think it would need a little tweaking to find the right balance. I think the current version we have now would make a good wep for all replacing a primary.

T-variants would still be slot 8 so they can keep a primary wep, and I do think it could be a little stronger. Make the fully charged shot the default shot, and change alt fire to pull people instead, that way you could try pulling people off of ledges or say you're on top of the bookshelf on Dolls and you shoot someone on the ground, it pulls them in the air and kills them. The newton launcher has so much wasted potential. For a T wep variant it should be on par with barrel guns and harpoons which currently it way underperforms for. It's handicap would be the same handicap it currently has: it is insanely accurate without the ability to zoom

T's only get so many credits a round. Right now it has to contend with being picked over so many objectively better options.

Reactions: Max

Max

Supporter
I think it would need a little tweaking to find the right balance. I think the current version we have now would make a good wep for all replacing a primary.

T-variants would still be slot 8 so they can keep a primary wep, and I do think it could be a little stronger. Make the fully charged shot the default shot, and change alt fire to pull people instead, that way you could try pulling people off of ledges or say you're on top of the bookshelf on Dolls and you shoot someone on the ground, it pulls them in the air and kills them. The newton launcher has so much wasted potential. For a T wep variant it should be on par with barrel guns and harpoons which currently it way underperforms for. It's handicap would be the same handicap it currently has: it is insanely accurate without the ability to zoom

T's only get so many credits a round. Right now it has to contend with being picked over so many objectively better options.
I like the proposed changes if this change gets accepted. I get why people don't want this at this time, but I think something like this could be beneficial in the long run for fun stuff, especially when innocents get bored, why not let them try to do risky stuff.

+1

~edit: I can't do grammar

Last edited:

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
I like the proposed changes if this change if this gets accepted. I get why people don't want this at this time, but I think something like this could be beneficial in the long run for fun stuff, especially when innocents get bored, why not let them try to do risky stuff.

+1
I am a die hard supporter of the newton launcher. I love the thing to death, but as it currently stands it works better as a gun for everyone. Like I said it is a radical change, and something that should be implemented on a trial basis to see how it shakes out and how it changes the meta. If people choose to equip this, we are asking them to sacrifice their long range wep for a piece of utility. I mean, the way this would change movement tech is interesting enough on its own

The changes to a T variant should be made either way, honestly I'd rather choose a poltergeist than a newton launcher half the time, and it really shouldn't be that way

Pokeben10

zonin’
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
I would rather just buff the newton launcher than make it available to everyone. It has been a traitor weapon for as long as I’ve played TTT, so suddenly making it accessible to all players would be confusing, even with a color change. And it doesn’t really fit our weapon theme anyway. All of our guns are… guns. The goofy and whacky stuff should stay as traitor/detective only imo.

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
I would rather just buff the newton launcher than make it available to everyone. It has been a traitor weapon for as long as I’ve played TTT, so suddenly making it accessible to all players would be confusing, even with a color change. And it doesn’t really fit our weapon theme anyway. All of our guns are… guns. The goofy and whacky stuff should stay as traitor/detective only imo.
Boogie bomb says what

Pokeben10

zonin’
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
Boogie bomb says what
I never said the boogie bomb should be accessible to all players. I never said anything about the boogie bomb. In fact, I've actually been a proponent of making it traitor-only.

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
I never said the boogie bomb should be accessible to all players. I never said anything about the boogie bomb. In fact, I've actually been a proponent of making it traitor-only.
Again, another thing that would be wasted in a T menu, why would anyone ever spend a credit on that? I don't need a mil-sim gun experience on a server where we have an among us map.
"Being set in our ways" is the worst reason to not do something, just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great change, or at least a change worthy of testing

Pokeben10

zonin’
Senior Moderator
VIP
Legacy
Again, another thing that would be wasted in a T menu, why would anyone ever spend a credit on that? I don't need a mil-sim gun experience on a server where we have an among us map.
"Being set in our ways" is the worst reason to not do something, just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great change, or at least a change worthy of testing
Why would anyone ever spend a credit on the boogie bomb? I don't know, maybe because it prevents people from shooting altogether? Or what about the knife? The knife is pretty dogshit in most situations, but it can be useful if your target is low and you're trying to be sneaky. Some weapons have their niche, and that's fine. Not every weapon, or even traitor weapon, has to be good in every situation. When you make something fun and seldom used (like the newton launcher) available to everyone for free, you take away the fun-factor, and it becomes overused. And how does us having an among us map hold any relevance in this debate? No, we don't have to be a "military-sim" server. But I do think we should try to be consistent in our choice of weaponry; having all sorts of weapons available like that would just make things cluttered. Also, I am not "set in my ways". I just don't think the change is worth the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.