Pending Update server name to start with the word “vanilla”

roy

idk I just work here
VIP
Legacy
Vanilla players know what they’re looking for and I feel like having vanilla lead in the server name will grab more attention and increase pop.

Edit: idk how to link to jump to specific posts but whatever just scroll down to Ryan’s idea in this thread because it’s even better.

Okay thanks bye.

Last edited:

Virunas

CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Prestigious
Legacy
Surprised this hasn’t been implemented already, huge +1

My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Kachow
Developer
VIP
Legacy
While it doesn't hurt to do this, I also don't see the point in adding "Vanilla" to precede "After Hours TTT". I doubt anyone is sorting alphabetically and then scrolling to the "V" section just to find vanilla servers. On top of that, vanilla is already in our server listing for those who are just randomly scrolling through the server list "After Hours TTT Vanilla | 24/7 Minecraft Maps". If people who are browsing the server list are looking for vanilla servers, they'll use the search in the top right and search for "Vanilla" and our server will show up there.

I would be open to it I guess if we have the same naming convention for both modded and vanilla. Something like this:
[SEMI-VANILLA] After Hours TTT | No Inventory
[VANILLA] After Hours TTT Vanilla | 24/7 Minecraft Maps

Even then, it just feels quite bloated putting that at the beginning. Just my $0.02

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
If we are talking about name psychology, the term “After Hours” could be hurting earlier pop. What about this:

[AHG] Vanilla | 24/7 Minecraft Maps
[AHG] Semi-Vanilla | No Inventory

just a thought

Last edited:

Captain K9

Wanderer
VIP
Legacy
If we are talking about baking psychology, the term “After Hours” could be hurting earlier pop. What about this:

[AHG] Vanilla | 24/7 Minecraft Maps
[AHG] Semi-Vanilla | No Inventory

just a thought
As silly as It sounds when I first heard the community name it made me think people were gonna play only in the evenings or that it was gonna be an 18+ community, shortening to AHG gives more space in the title to show what the server is offering and makes the title short and easy to read, I think this would be a good renaming idea.

Desert

PhD in Barrel Dynamics
Assistant Director
VIP
Legacy
In my experience on Garry's Mod and other gaming servers, labelling the server as sort of a clan tag with brackets and whatnot like how it is in Ryan's post gives it a sort of "official" connotation. To me and I feel like for others too, it gives off a sense of "this is a conglomerate or an organized community", which would indicate an active forums and large playerbase to interact with (conglomerate would be more relevant for GFL's case on counter strike but yeah) , an attractive feature for those who might be looking for a new place to land or just checking out the different communities. Of course at the end of the day it is just a naming convention and it doesn't actually mean those things, but to many it means certain things about a server in how they name themselves.

I personally didn't think that "After hours" was meant literally but I was also aware of the context of the name when it was created, so I can see how a new player or someone who doesn't know why it's called After Hours might mistake the server for a post-midnight community similar in activity peaks as EU servers.

I wouldn't be against putting "vanilla" first because I do think people would read that and be more likely to join than if they read "After Hours" first and accidentally think it's a night server.
Idk maybe something like a modification of Ryan's naming convention:

"[AHG] Vanilla | 24/7 Minecraft Maps | afterhoursgaming.gg" <---- Include forum link so people actually know what the community is called from a glance without having to join or look up AHG. Also this way people can look at how we are as a community whilst downloading the maps or something.

Example for modded:
"[AHG] Modded/Semi-Vanilla | Pointshop & Perks | No Inventory | afterhoursgaming.gg" <--- Indicates no inventory but that we of course have custom content regardless. Don't need to have Modded & Semi-vanilla at the same time, either or works.

Oh yeah +1 i guess.

Last edited:

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
This thread is the perfect example of collaborative design.

One more modification:
"[AHG] Vanilla | 24/7 Minecraft Maps | Pointshop | afterhoursgaming.gg" <- add "Pointshop" its not something that is going to scare anyone away, but is something that might draw some people in
"[AHG] Modded/Semi-Vanilla | Pointshop | No Inventory | afterhoursgaming.gg" <- remove "& Perks" its unclear what is meant by "perks" and makes it look a tad clunky

Pierogi

Special Properations
Director
Developer
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Let the server browser search for a bit, and here were the results:
1681348860052.png
It seems every server starts with community name, then specifies vanilla/modded etc. It might not make sense to deviate from that standard - if people are used to quickly parsing the tags following the name, it might actually cost us some players.

This thread is the perfect example of collaborative design.

One more modification:
"[AHG] Vanilla | 24/7 Minecraft Maps | Pointshop | afterhoursgaming.gg" <- add "Pointshop" its not something that is going to scare anyone away, but is something that might draw some people in
"[AHG] Modded/Semi-Vanilla | Pointshop | No Inventory | afterhoursgaming.gg" <- remove "& Perks" its unclear what is meant by "perks" and makes it look a tad clunky
Why not [ahg.gg]?

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
For the record, I've been advocating for a new server name for over a year:
NTrl0LB.png

It looks fucking disgusting. I know. I agree with @My Dime Is Up -- simple is better. Look at what has the most users on the server list though, the flashy shit sells. I'm too old for this shit.

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Why not [ahg.gg]?
I figure it might be nice to have the name a little bit longer. It'll stand out a little better without having those emojis