Pending Custom titles for all members

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
The suggestion of putting it as a donator perk has been thrown out there.

Another thing we might be looking into is badges on your forum profile. One of those might be “retired [rank]”

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
The suggestion of putting it as a donator perk has been thrown out there.

Another thing we might be looking into is badges on your forum profile. One of those might be “retired [rank]”
Note: this is all preliminary. This suggestion will probably best be decided once we have donator perks figured out as a whole. It would be pretty counter intuitive to accept this suggestion and then make it donator exclusive once everyone and their mother have already changed their title

Titan

One of AHG's official music nerds
Administrator
VIP
Legacy
Few problems here though that are pretty glaring.

1) You’re going back to creating the exclusivisity that existed between the player base vs the staff team that alienated a lot of people at SGM. You even said it direct in your post called the staff team the “cool kids club” inferring the clique. Is that the direction that AHG is going in as well?

2) Custom titles is a pretty poor way of tracking ex-staff members. What if they don’t use the custom title at all while staff? There’s 101 better systems that could be used. Why not create a “Former Staff” cosmetic rank for instance?

3) It is a really poor staff incentive. Why not use the available development team to create actual real staff incentives? Points for staff team. Staff picnics. Custom skins for staff. Etc? I’ve heard playing cards are being developed for the staff on Minecraft so it seems like this is already happening. Why limit a feature that’s already available on almost any other gaming forum?

4) It could generate income. Heck, put it behind a paywall for ranked members only. I think most would be okay with that.
1) So what if there is the tiniest little degree of separation? Staff keep the community running. Without them, it would crumble. So why not throw staff the tiniest little shred of thanks their way for the staffing they did? Sure, staff vs player alienation is a real issue, but this is literally the one thing that staff get to keep from their time staffing. This isn't the place to start hacking to try and solve a rift between players and staff. And yes, I did say cool kids club. Because I think being staff is pretty cool. Sorry if that bothers people.

2) It's not about logistically tracking who was staff. We have better ways for that. It's just a cute little privilege for staff and former staff to show off that they helped staff the server at one point, if they wanted to.

3) this is your opinion. clearly custom title is a well sought after benefit. extra points for staff affects game play and is scuffed, staff picnics already happen (and don't happen once you're not staff anymore), private skins are imo tacky and unnecessary.

4) this was brought up, and i did not like it. feel like that would cheapen it even more than just opening it up to everyone. This would be a cash grab that I would not like to see, personally.

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
What if we did a short little pseudo-poll about the thought of making custom titles part of donating (adding it to current perk packages)

You can vote on this comment with thumbs up or thumbs down.

And @Titan the server can’t run without staff, but it also can’t run without the community behind them. Individually, staff make a greater impact. Collectively, neither can exist without the other. I agree with pretty much everything else you said, tho.

I do remember, as a new player and staff, finding it neat to be able to see that someone was former staff at one point because of their custom title. So that is a point to bring up

Titan

One of AHG's official music nerds
Administrator
VIP
Legacy
And @Titan the server can’t run without staff, but it also can’t run without the community behind them. I agree with pretty much everything else you said.
while this is true, and ofc the community is top tier, the staff puts forth specific effort (at least fifteen hours biweekly, historically) devoted to just making sure the servers stay the cleanest and best they can be. we cannot be totally blind to the work staff put in for almost no benefit whatsoever. this is the one concrete thing they get, i think it's fair for staff to keep it.

As for that last bit, I 1000% agree.

Lunar

8:00 PM
Banned
VIP
Legacy
Let's restrict something that would be cool for everyone into a couple of people who moderate a garrys mod server!!

Incentive this, Incentive that. Let the community have custom titles its going to hurt literally nobody.

+1

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
What if we did a short little pseudo-poll about the thought of making custom titles part of donating (adding it to current perk packages)

You can vote on this comment with thumbs up or thumbs down.

And @Titan the server can’t run without staff, but it also can’t run without the community behind them. Individually, staff make a greater impact. Collectively, neither can exist without the other. I agree with pretty much everything else you said, tho.

I do remember, as a new player and staff, finding it neat to be able to see that someone was former staff at one point because of their custom title. So that is a point to bring up
I like the poll idea! This would probably work better in discord, yeah?

helix

Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
while this is true, and ofc the community is top tier, the staff puts forth specific effort (at least fifteen hours biweekly, historically) devoted to just making sure the servers stay the cleanest and best they can be. we cannot be totally blind to the work staff put in for almost no benefit whatsoever. this is the one concrete thing they get, i think it's fair for staff to keep it.

As for that last bit, I 1000% agree.

I'm really concerned about this statement from an admin perspective to be honest. It totally ignores the community. I think it's important to remember that a lot of the people who populate our servers are there for way beyond 15 hours biweekly, and without them, the servers wouldn't be a thing. I'm not sure why, but you have seemed to confuse the proposal here to be to remove all staff incentives. I'm not saying that in the slightest. Staff incentives are important. However, I am saying that we shouldn't restrict a common forum function that excludes others in a public eye for the sake of forming a cliques.

RyanHighman

I Love j3kawesome!
Lead Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
I'm really concerned about this statement from an admin perspective to be honest. It totally ignores the community. I think it's important to remember that a lot of the people who populate our servers are there for way beyond 15 hours biweekly, and without them, the servers wouldn't be a thing. I'm not sure why, but you have seemed to confuse the proposal here to be to remove all staff incentives. I'm not saying that in the slightest. Staff incentives are important. However, I am saying that we shouldn't restrict a common forum function that excludes others in a public eye for the sake of forming a cliques.
It isn’t about making a divide. It’s simply the only current perk for former staff. It’s the only thing you keep. When players play, they aren’t doing it simply to support the community. 99% of the time they are doing it because it’s a fun, familiar place to play. Titan is right about staff putting in work. Staff put in more work and effort, beyond just the hour requirement.

Im personally neutral to this suggestion, leaning towards keeping it a staff perk. My previous statements have just been to help facilitate other opinions

helix

Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
It’s simply the only current perk for former staff. It’s the only thing you keep.

Why not provide a better "former staff" perk like mentioned previously then and instead allow a feature that nearly every other gaming community allows? It just seems odd to put such a basic feature behind a staff gate.

Any chances to doing that poll?

Acnologia

:再
VIP
Legacy
I staffed SGM for about two years with breaks here and there, I know people that specifically wanted to get staff for custom titles only and resigned shortly after, as well as people that reapplied for the same reasons with the same ends. It's not a good system to show who is ex-staff if their contributions aren't anything worth noting in the first place. I think custom titles should be able to be applied by everyone, and with no rank-locking behind it. It promotes individualism and that's hella neat.

Virunas

CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Prestigious
Legacy
-1. Dont have much of a reason why but I just like the way it was on sgm

ori with a gun

just vibin
Legacy
I would say put it as a donor perk. I think the custom title has a bit of specialness to it and making open to absolutely everyone would make it lose its worth.

proper

Banned
VIP
Legacy
I like the idea of it being a donor perk as well. Besides, not that custom titles aren't cool n stuff, I feel like something better should be given to staff for their time and effort. From what I can tell, they do a lot - way more than I've seen in any other gmod community, and I'd even go so far as to say the most of any gmod community. I wouldn't really consider a custom title on the forums to be a "sufficient" benefit to that end, personally. Just because that has been the norm for years in SGM doesn't mean it can't be changed to something more satisfying for everyone, while also bringing in better benefits/incentives for staffing.

helix

Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
Hey @Kythol , I saw you rated this dislike. As someone who has been around at SGM for so long I was wondering if you'd like to provide input on why this it is a bad idea to give donators more features and give staff better incentives.

Kythol

mama's moppings this pizza's got toppings
Prestigious
Legacy
Hey @Kythol , I saw you rated this dislike. As someone who has been around at SGM for so long I was wondering if you'd like to provide input on why this it is a bad idea to give donators more features and give staff better incentives.
was going to type something out after rating it last night, but couldn't think of a good way of explaining my stance, best i can come up with is this

it's a perfectly fine feature to give to donators, idc about that part

i just feel that being staff and helping people out is the incentive, not being able to meme a little extra in a limited character amount

if the reason someone becomes staff is for the incentives, then that honestly kinda worries me

edit: basically, my dislike is saying that i am perfectly ok with what we've got as staff now, don't think we need more