Implemented Fix Propkilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARTHOLOMEW

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
VIP
Legacy
Server's been out about a year, and here more than SGM prop-killing has become a regular thing, more than that it's rampant here. Any map where someone can propkill, someone will, which is fun if you're 12, retarded, or learning about propkilling for the first time, but for the rest of us it got old before AHG even started up, there's no challenge, no humor, no glory, no fun to instant-killing a random with a barrel, it's something only unfunny or new players do. Not to say there can't be innovation within prop-killing, or times where it doesn't impede the gameplay like a duel, but everyone knows how to do it now, and it's fucking obnoxious, there's times where I've logged on the server, instantly been prop killed by a player/spectator, and stopped playing for weeks. In a game with guns, traitor weapons that cost credits, prop killing is completely game-breaking, and this is coming from the guy whose spent hours trying to break the game in anyway I can.

For example - what's the point of a barrel gun, or a knife, if there's a free 1 shot weapon on 60% of maps with unlimited uses? What's the point of actually playing the game instead of just doing the bare minimum of spawning in, killing people with barrels, no reason for communication or strategy or even thinking. Certain maps you have to avoid entire sections of the map as to not get cross-fired by barrels. When players approach me holding a prop, it's hard to tell if they're RDMing, asking for a duel, or a traitor, so often I won't interact and avoid them, which just makes me end up getting killed (although I guess that's my fault for trying to play 'honorably'). Additionally, if you see someone killed by a prop, you usually assume that person was in a duel or something like that, and not a threat, only to be next in line. That is fucking stupid and even further discourages people from actually playing. It is harder to RDM with a gun than a barrel but I feel like one is looked at as way worse than the other, although you literally just have to move your mouse to get 1+ kills instantly. I miss when people made jokes or had interesting strategies instead of XDDDD I KILLED YOU LOL LAUGH NOW. It's a big reason I stopped playing, as well as a few others I've talked to.

Some potential fixes are (I do not code so idk what's possible)
1) Fix barrels so they actually register as killing a player (vs killed by the world) so propkillers can be reported more often
2) Ban staff from propkilling (If staff does something it becomes accepted and trickles down to the most annoying players) (side note: staff shouldn't even be allowed to RDM each other in general, your stupid inside joke of killing other staff has gotten me and others caught up in many RDM chains over the years. I love when me and 4 others die to your little discord staff call joke! It's to the point where if I see 2 staff fight I have to ignore it and assume it's just that shit)
3) Modifying barrels in a way where they can't instant kill - add a minigame where barrels fall from the sky and the ability to kill is reenacted. Quarantine prop killers to a fun round.

There's other solutions I'm not thinking of, I mean if everyone reported prop RDM things would be a lot better, but that can only go so far. I've talked about this before, for someone to reply "Ummm.... actually the current pop actually seems pretty happy with propkilling!", which is a flawed argument, the people who don't like propkilling have left, so even if I was the only one with this opinion that's only because of survivorship bias. I've burnt out now so thread over but if you have a problem with what i said, this is you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just a guy who wants the focus back on the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1655173934973.png

Frost

VIP
Legacy

Jennie

Cute Bunny UwU
Senior Moderator
Prestigious
Legacy
the second you start making gameplay rules for staff that differ from the rest of the community, you end up with a shitty, unappreciated staff team. shit takes.

don't let history repeat itself. this is just the same story in a different year. i know a wavy server that might be more your style
I have to agree with this heavily.

BARTHOLOMEW

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
VIP
Legacy
the second you start making gameplay rules for staff that differ from the rest of the community, you end up with a shitty, unappreciated staff team. shit takes.

don't let history repeat itself. this is just the same story in a different year. i know a wavy server that might be more your style
This is a fucking horrible take, so fucking stupid that I don't even care about the propkilling shit anymore. It seems like the majority of your time in this community has been at the top of the staff team, or within the staff team's echo chamber, rather than playing with/surrounded by the player-base, noticing how these things affect gameplay and player-base on a small scale. Notice how everyone who agrees is current staff or ex-staff for likely years? Crazy! Bias perhaps ?

Who fucking cares that ONE guy on SGM, TEN YEARS AGO, decided to resign over prop killing? In the post the guy says the only reason he played was to prop kill. Not to moderate, but to prop kill, and that he was playing for fun - if you volunteer as staff, you sacrifice the ability to consistently have fun in ways you did before. It's the responsibility of the position - if you are playing for the sole reasons of friends or power or propkilling, and would resign if those changed, rather than helping the server regardless, you ARE a shitty staff member and should've never been staff in the first place. You are staff to serve the server, not entertain yourself. That's how staff has functioned in EVERY community I have been in besides these two. And guess what? AHG/SGM had some of the most obnoxious and disliked staff in any community I've been in, the most annoying inside joke - clique bullshit I've ever seen at times. Talk to players, not staff about this. Most PLAYERS (the group you NEED to be catering to, not staff members) would agree with most of this, and ofc staff will disagree. Staff shouldn't be some awesome club where you can do most things a player can but with a colored name and power, that breeds the clique mentality, while restraint brings responsibility and dedication to the server, not to it's staffers. It is a job and 'appreciation' shouldn't be a factor.

The servers I staffed for at 12 had more rules, responsibilities, and guidelines for staff than I've ever been considered here - some of which 'gameplay' rules - and they had significantly better community relationships/less problems/quality gameplay than they would without. How is it a shit take to say there should be stricter staff rules, forcing staff to a higher standard of gameplay??? Or make them 'underappreciated' - do you actually think players appreciate staff, right now, besides those who want staff? No, they don't, players don't go around praising staff for doing the job they signed up for. But they WILL get mad when staff gets to troll and do shit a player can do sometimes, while they personally get punished for similar actions, this is what lead to a lot of the problems when Andy/Sanchez was mod as just one example - some staff would hyper-moderate while other staff were allowed to do exactly what the banned players did, but there was never really any punishment given to either side, which really puts a wall between staff and players and makes staff seem above everything. Yeah that specific problem is better now, but the point is that without guidelines, for the most part staff is allowed to troll as hard as players are, there will always be the chance of hypocrisy or a similar problem arriving in a different area, the server will dip in quality. If there's no written difference in the way mods play to how players do, that's pretty dumb and something that, in my experience, is unique to this community.

If you are staff, you are doing volunteer work, it is a job, and as a worker at a job, you are reflective of the server and the server's quality. Your goal as staff is to MODERATE and be an example. You aren't supposed to have fun - that's not the promise of a job, that isn't even an aspect of the job. Should you be able to have fun as staff? Sure, but it has to be within the confines of the actual game, instead of doing glitch shit. The rules shouldn't be catering to mods who don't actually want to treat their job professionally, at the very LEAST, but we shouldn't have staff members who don't enjoy playing the game they are moderating. The rules shouldn't be based on how much fun mods are having, or based on what 1 guy did 10 years ago, but based on quality and based on what players want. If they resign over something like not being able to have fun prop killing, sounds like your staff team's shit already, putting self serving inside jokes before gameplay quality. Staff is a duty with obligations, to baby staff members who volunteered themselves is so unbelievably fucking stupid and caters to the worst crowd possible.

When I applied for Minecraft, a game which I genuinely dislike (yet have 10+ years of community experience in), I did it because I knew I was the one for the job, that in the entire community I was likely the 1 person who could actually had history running server networks. I knew the mistakes that would be made before they would be made because I've seen them time and time again. After a year of trolling, I fucked off changed my persona completely, put in my app. What did I get? Paragraphs from the staff hivemind about how I joked once in game and that means I am evil and should never be allowed to staff, while some of these staff were being even more obnoxious and breaking more rules than I had. I wasn't a part of their cool friend group so I'm evil!!!!! So I stopped even joking because I put duty above my own personal wants, helping and building the server. Was it boring? Fuck yes. But if you are staff it shouldn't be about you. I tried my best to improve the server while also being extremely cautious about my persona and the image I was sending to the community. I didn't go around doing game breaking shit in Minecraft, let alone glitches that instant kill people, although I dislike the game and get extremely bored by it, and very quickly, I respected the game, the community, and the quality of the server itself.

How is it crazy to think mods should be held to a higher gameplay standard and quality than players???????? That's the entire fucking point of staff. To improve the server. Saying "hey don't cheese, play the game it's meant to be played" to staff members is the end of the world because 1 guy 10 years ago? Back to a point I made earlier as an example, of staff RDMing each other. Why would a mod ever report another mod unless forced to? There's little to no possibility staff would punish staff - no incentive at all. Which means it is essentially allowed. I wouldn't report a friend for killing me, but I'm not staff, again there's a sense of duty. If that would discourage staff from killing each other in game, and would send the message that joke RDM leads to RDM chains which ruins multiple people's round. I know how RDM chain slays work, but I don't think I ever saw a staff serving slays for the chain they created. This proposal would really only benefit the game, however, this is a gameplay rule so staff would quit - and worst of all - people might not appreciate the staff team :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

helix

Senior Senior Senior Senior Mod
Administrator
Prestigious
VIP
Legacy
This is a fucking horrible take, so fucking stupid that I don't even care about the propkilling shit anymore. It seems like the majority of your time in this community has been at the top of the staff team, or within the staff team's echo chamber, rather than playing with/surrounded by the player-base, noticing how these things affect gameplay and player-base on a small scale. Notice how everyone who agrees is current staff or ex-staff for likely years? Crazy! Bias perhaps ?

Who fucking cares that ONE guy on SGM, TEN YEARS AGO, decided to resign over prop killing? In the post the guy says the only reason he played was to prop kill. Not to moderate, but to prop kill, and that he was playing for fun - if you volunteer as staff, you sacrifice the ability to consistently have fun in ways you did before. It's the responsibility of the position - if you are playing for the sole reasons of friends or power or propkilling, and would resign if those changed, rather than helping the server regardless, you ARE a shitty staff member and should've never been staff in the first place. You are staff to serve the server, not entertain yourself. That's how staff has functioned in EVERY community I have been in besides these two. And guess what? AHG/SGM had some of the most obnoxious and disliked staff in any community I've been in, the most annoying inside joke - clique bullshit I've ever seen at times. Talk to players, not staff about this. Most PLAYERS (the group you NEED to be catering to, not staff members) would agree with most of this, and ofc staff will disagree. Staff shouldn't be some awesome club where you can do most things a player can but with a colored name and power, that breeds the clique mentality, while restraint brings responsibility and dedication to the server, not to it's staffers. It is a job and 'appreciation' shouldn't be a factor.

The servers I staffed for at 12 had more rules, responsibilities, and guidelines for staff than I've ever been considered here - some of which 'gameplay' rules - and they had significantly better community relationships/less problems/quality gameplay than they would without. How is it a shit take to say there should be stricter staff rules, forcing staff to a higher standard of gameplay??? Or make them 'underappreciated' - do you actually think players appreciate staff, right now, besides those who want staff? No, they don't, players don't go around praising staff for doing the job they signed up for. But they WILL get mad when staff gets to troll and do shit a player can do sometimes, while they personally get punished for similar actions, this is what lead to a lot of the problems when Andy/Sanchez was mod as just one example - some staff would hyper-moderate while other staff were allowed to do exactly what the banned players did, but there was never really any punishment given to either side, which really puts a wall between staff and players and makes staff seem above everything. Yeah that specific problem is better now, but the point is that without guidelines, for the most part staff is allowed to troll as hard as players are, there will always be the chance of hypocrisy or a similar problem arriving in a different area, the server will dip in quality. If there's no written difference in the way mods play to how players do, that's pretty dumb and something that, in my experience, is unique to this community.

If you are staff, you are doing volunteer work, it is a job, and as a worker at a job, you are reflective of the server and the server's quality. Your goal as staff is to MODERATE and be an example. You aren't supposed to have fun - that's not the promise of a job, that isn't even an aspect of the job. Should you be able to have fun as staff? Sure, but it has to be within the confines of the actual game, instead of doing glitch shit. The rules shouldn't be catering to mods who don't actually want to treat their job professionally, at the very LEAST, but we shouldn't have staff members who don't enjoy playing the game they are moderating. The rules shouldn't be based on how much fun mods are having, or based on what 1 guy did 10 years ago, but based on quality and based on what players want. If they resign over something like not being able to have fun prop killing, sounds like your staff team's shit already, putting self serving inside jokes before gameplay quality. Staff is a duty with obligations, to baby staff members who volunteered themselves is so unbelievably fucking stupid and caters to the worst crowd possible.

When I applied for Minecraft, a game which I genuinely dislike (yet have 10+ years of community experience in), I did it because I knew I was the one for the job, that in the entire community I was likely the 1 person who could actually had history running server networks. I knew the mistakes that would be made before they would be made because I've seen them time and time again. After a year of trolling, I fucked off changed my persona completely, put in my app. What did I get? Paragraphs from the staff hivemind about how I joked once in game and that means I am evil and should never be allowed to staff, while some of these staff were being even more obnoxious and breaking more rules than I had. I wasn't a part of their cool friend group so I'm evil!!!!! So I stopped even joking because I put duty above my own personal wants, helping and building the server. Was it boring? Fuck yes. But if you are staff it shouldn't be about you. I tried my best to improve the server while also being extremely cautious about my persona and the image I was sending to the community. I didn't go around doing game breaking shit in Minecraft, let alone glitches that instant kill people, although I dislike the game and get extremely bored by it, and very quickly, I respected the game, the community, and the quality of the server itself.

How is it crazy to think mods should be held to a higher gameplay standard and quality than players???????? That's the entire fucking point of staff. To improve the server. Saying "hey don't cheese, play the game it's meant to be played" to staff members is the end of the world because 1 guy 10 years ago? Back to a point I made earlier as an example, of staff RDMing each other. Why would a mod ever report another mod unless forced to? There's little to no possibility staff would punish staff - no incentive at all. Which means it is essentially allowed. I wouldn't report a friend for killing me, but I'm not staff, again there's a sense of duty. If that would discourage staff from killing each other in game, and would send the message that joke RDM leads to RDM chains which ruins multiple people's round. I know how RDM chain slays work, but I don't think I ever saw a staff serving slays for the chain they created. This proposal would really only benefit the game, however, this is a gameplay rule so staff would quit - and worst of all - people might not appreciate the staff team :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
you missed the entire point on an argument that’s not even worth arguing. If you think that thread stirred from one guy, and one guy only, you’re fucking nuts.

Frost

VIP
Legacy
you missed the entire point on an argument that’s not even worth arguing. If you think that thread stirred from one guy, and one guy only, you’re fucking nuts.

2 things to take away from his argument

1. He sucks at prop killing
  2. He definitely can't prop kill
  3. When does he even play
  4. He's not cool enough to prop kill
  5. #BarrelLivesMatter

Gabriel

Whatever happens, happens
VIP
Supporter

Idk if i've ever read anything more pretentious. You're right, Mods should be setting an example for the rest of the community. Also you're right, Mods shouldn't have fun. Therefore, you are absolutely right, the rest of the community should not have fun. We are going to try our best at removing all fun from all After Hours Gaming servers, as it is not the kind of environment we would like to represent. All props will be removed effective immediately. I will be getting with Dime to discuss removing all weapons from the server because I feel it adds too much "chaos" and potential of fun. We will also be removing all voice functionality, and removing text chat (with the exception of default radio commands) as we feel that this also doesn't align with the image of Trouble in Terrorist Town that Garry's Mod portrays. We are removing all maps except gm_flatgrass_v1 as we feel that other maps have the potential to provide what we strive most to avoid: varied gamplay.

Frost

VIP
Legacy
Idk if i've ever read anything more pretentious. You're right, Mods should be setting an example for the rest of the community. Also you're right, Mods shouldn't have fun. Therefore, you are absolutely right, the rest of the community should not have fun. We are going to try our best at removing all fun from all After Hours Gaming servers, as it is not the kind of environment we would like to represent. All props will be removed effective immediately. I will be getting with Dime to discuss removing all weapons from the server because I feel it adds too much "chaos" and potential of fun. We will also be removing all voice functionality, and removing text chat (with the exception of default radio commands) as we feel that this also doesn't align with the image of Trouble in Terrorist Town that Garry's Mod portrays. We are removing all maps except gm_flatgrass_v1 as we feel that other maps have the potential to provide what we strive most to avoid: varied gamplay.

#BarrelLivesMatter

Kasta

Senior Moderator
Legacy

Bruh I can’t understand you through the long ass hair on your neck. Shave that shit.

Also, why would anyone be playing a 16 year old video game if it wasn’t fun for them. Get that Reddit banhammer outta your ass and live a little in the free-time you have when you aren’t moderating r/cute.

Sincerely,

That one SGM mod from 10 years ago

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
Bruh I can’t understand you through the long ass hair on your neck. Shave that shit.

Also, why would anyone be playing a 16 year old video game if it wasn’t fun for them. Get that Reddit banhammer outta your ass and live a little in the free-time you have when you aren’t moderating r/cute.

Sincerely,

That one SGM mod from 10 years ago
Gonna go ahead and change this thread into an introduction thread for you. Welcome back bud

Jennie

Cute Bunny UwU
Senior Moderator
Prestigious
Legacy
2 things to take away from his argument

1. He sucks at prop killing
  2. He definitely can't prop kill
  3. When does he even play
  4. He's not cool enough to prop kill
  5. #BarrelLivesMatter
Don't forget he refuses to report players for prop killing.

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
I agreed because of rdm,and your fixes are probably impossible but now you're just losing it man
Its one of those situations where the only way to fix RDM is start reporting for RDM. If you get falsely killed by the actions of any player, staff or otherwise, then report. I don't think prop kill is the problem, its just another way to play. RDM is the problem, and it needs to be reported. If it isn't, you're telling everyone involved you're okay with it happening to you, and staff arent going to look at every kill in the logs to see if someone RDMed.

waffle

[VALVᴱ] employee
VIP
Legacy
Its one of those situations where the only way to fix RDM is start reporting for RDM. If you get falsely killed by the actions of any player, staff or otherwise, then report. I don't think prop kill is the problem, its just another way to play. RDM is the problem, and it needs to be reported. If it isn't, you're telling everyone involved you're okay with it happening to you, and staff arent going to look at every kill in the logs to see if someone RDMed.
I meant more like others being propkilled ive seen moments where a new player joins the server and gets insta propkilled by a innocent and just leaves for a different server where they just wont get normally get insta rdmed like that

Gabriel

VIP
Supporter
I meant more like others being propkilled ive seen moments where a new player joins the server and gets insta propkilled by a innocent and just leaves for a different server where they just wont get normally get insta rdmed like that
That is actually something I actively look for, but I can't speak for the rest of the staff team.

Titan

One of AHG's official music nerds
Administrator
VIP
Legacy
In the post the guy says the only reason he played was to prop kill. Not to moderate, but to prop kill, and that he was playing for fun
Kasta also says that if at any point its decided that he can prop kill while staff again, that he'd immediately return. Clearly he enjoyed staffing, and it was only when he was told he's not allowed to both enjoy the game his way and staff at the same time that he chose one over the other. It's very important that he says "I play games FOR FUN". If any of us treated staffing like it was a job, and not something to enjoy, then we'd just go get an actual paying job. Late night pop is integral for a server, and a good mod that can keep the mass RDMers, hackers, and toxic racists at bay is a vastly important asset to the survival of that late night pop. it's evident that kasta enjoyed the ability to keep the peace at night and keep the pop fun. If I got told that I have to continue staffing fifteen hours, but I'm not allowed to have fun while doing it, I'd resign too. If that makes me a bad staff member in your eyes, then so be it. I'm not doing this because I enjoy doing reports. I do it because I like the ability to foster and encourage the best and most enjoyable environment possible for as many players as possible. I wouldn't do a good job if I wasn't having fun myself.

Staff aren't slaves to the server. If we adopted such a harsh rhetoric against staff, then we wouldn't garner any good staff, and all we'd get is power hungry fuckwads. I think you are missing the mark by a country fucking mile if you genuinely believe that staff "aren't supposed to have fun", to the point of severely gimping the gameplay of those who become staff. Your point boiled down is "staff shouldn't be able to enjoy the game the way players should", and I think that's misguided and just wildly wrong. The rules don't cater to mods. They cater to players. Mods just happen to be players.

Also, staff report other staff. Staff slay other staff. It happens loads. Your point about "why would a mod ever report another mod" is moot because it happens, more than you know.

Like damn bro, I completely understand if you think that staff on staff RDM has gotten out of control. I agree. But when you come out with this massive fuckin manifesto insisting that staff shouldn't be having fun, and should exist solely to serve the player, then you lose all credibility. None of us get paid lmao. We're just doing it so the server that we enjoy doesn't go to shit like poxon's lawless server did, and any other server with either shit or nonexistent staff does.

There have been bad moderators on this server. But the same names are always thrown out. If you really think the entire staff team is just a massive circlejerk where we all compliment eachother for having a colored name on a fucking gmod server, then you are wildly off base. I'd laugh in the face of anybody on our staff team that genuinely had a superiority complex and flexed it just because they got an application accepted. That would be the pinnacle of pathetic. You talk about the "staff hivemind" like it's the goddamn gravemind from halo 2 lmao

It seems to me that you don't have a problem with prop killing, but a problem with staff attitude on the server. If that's true, then so be it. We're just trying to make this sixteen year old game enjoyable as much as possible for people, including ourselves, until we can move on to a better platform. We're not going to be able to please everybody, and if the niche we've settled into does not vibe with you, then maybe it just doesn't. And when the solution to it not vibing with you is to disallow staff from being able to enjoy the game, then it's never going to fit your desires perfectly. As it stands right now, we have a healthy supply of regular players who do enjoy the server atmosphere, and that's evident because otherwise, they wouldn't be coming back.

P/S: Yeah, staffing is a thankless job. I never want staff to ever expect consistent thanks from the community. But this server, and any other server would go to shit without proper staff taking care of it, so as long as the server stays healthy and fun, that's really all the thanks that I think anyone ought to get. But this, this is a massive middle finger to everyone who has committed a part of their time to improving this place. I was apart of the little SGM admin team that formed this place, so I've never gotten to experience it from the player perspective, and I'm fully aware that that limits my ability to concede some. But this, this is out there.

edit: also yeah, if you've got beef with propkilling, then start with resisting it in game, instead of choosing to start by trying to legislate it the fuck out of existence lmao. your argument does falter if you aren't reporting or killing propkillers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.